Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Making yogurt

Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
bsay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How about making it in a garbage can with a heating pad?

Gotta love Alton Brown....segment is in the middle of the video.

[youtube]DznKjP7p4-A[/youtube]

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

You can pick up a yogurt maker pretty cheap. i picke one up for about 30 , it came with glass containers. Its just a little warmer that keep heat constant. Easy to make.

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 08-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got some in a ceramic bowl from a crockpot sitting in my MLT with hot water. I think that should keep it warm enough overnight. I wrapped the MLT with a blanket too so the heat would stay in all night. It should work fantastic. By the way, Greek yogurt is nothing more than regular plain yogurt strained to get rid of some of the whey giving you a thicker product.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My first attempt at yogurt was a huge success. I'm sold. The water in the MLT was still very warm this morning and the yogurt turned out great!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
hbx
Recipes 

We have also had huge success making yogurt. We love how easy it is and how good it tastes. Our little girl (14 months) can't get enough of the stuff. We put up a couple pages on how to make it here:

How to make homemade yogurt.

At the bottom of that page you'll also find a link where we compared two "passive" (non-electric) yogurt fermenters. One is a low-tech jug cooler plus some extra insulation, and the other is the fancier yogotherm.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #16
tong806
Recipes 

Making Greek yogurt, you have to use cheese cloth stain plain yogurt for about 3-6 hours.
see Homemade Greek Yogurt
Fruits yogurt, is add fruits and sugar at the serving time.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
HopMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I make mine in the cooler overnight. It's easy, and I've never had a batch flop. I make it right in mason jars. I put two pint jars, filled with milk in a pot of water (just keep water level below the neck of the jar....maybe an inch or so), medium heat until milk is 185 degrees, remove pan from heat, and cool milk to 115. As soon as I start heating my milk on the stove, I temper 2 or 3 quart jars. I also set my oven at 230 degrees, and boil an extra pot of water. Once my pot of water is boiled, I fill my quart jars with the water (be careful handling them, the suckers are hot!), put lids and rings on them, and place them in the oven, so they stay nice and hot while my milk is heating and cooling. As soon as milk is 115, I put a tablespoon of yogurt starter (plain yogurt) in each pint, give it a gentle stir with a plastic spoon, cover with lid and ring, and transfer to my cooler. I nestle the yogurt bottles with my hot water bottles (from the oven), and cover with a towel. As long as the lid isn't lifted, and the cooler is in a relatively warm room, you'll have yogurt in 10-14 hours. Put your yogurt in the fridge, let it cool down, and solidify a bit...boom, homemade yogurt! Make sure you save out a couple tablespoons of your homemade yogurt (in a separate container) to use as a starter for your next batch. As long as you use your starter within a week, it stays alive, and your yogurt will get better and better. I'm on my fourth batch of yogurt, using my own yogurt as starter, and it's fantastic You can flavor it as soon as it's cooled down. Puréed fruit is nice mixed in. Vanilla yogurt, just add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and a teaspoon of two (depending on how sweet you like it) to each pint, and stir. Homemade yogurt trumps store bought, in my humble opinion, and it's easy and fun to make Sorry for the huge post!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew