Looking for a Lager recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I looked through the recipe database but I'm not finding what I think I want. I have about a pound of Hallertauer that I want to use, maybe a 10g batch of a light lager (light in color). Any ideas as to where to start? All grain or extract is fine. Thanks...

Continental pilsner malt. 20%-30% of flaked maize if you want.

14 plato

40 IBU with at least 2 ounces of hops after 15 minutes.

I'm assuming you don't want to use the whole pound of hops.

If you do, bump it up to 16-18 plato and maybe 60 IBUs and you'll have something along the lines of the SA Hallertauer Imperial Pilsner

Building on the information provided above by remilard, Here is what you may also want to consider.
WLP 830 German Lager yeast with a massive starter.
I like Weyermanns but mostly use Bairds premium Pilsen malt due to it's availability to me.

Combine the Hallertau with some Perle in the kettle.
Then hop with Hallertau for the rest of your schedule.
In a few months you'll have a fine German lager.

Would you consider a decoction?

Light (in color) lager screams Helles to me. Or if you like it a little more bitter, a German Pils. A good recipe for helles is 97.5% pilsener malt, 2.5% Cara-pils. Mash with a ratio of 2 qts per pound. Either single infusion @ 150°F, or more ideally, a step-mash or decoction using 140°F and 158°F as rests, then mashout. (The step mash will keep the color a shade lighter, but the decoction may add some maltiness and dextrin complexity.) Boil 90 min. For hops, use ~21 IBUs @ 60 min. and then a 1/2 oz at 1 min. or flameout. OG should be in the upper 1.040s, FG should be 1.010-1.012. Lager for ~ 6 weeks.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the yeast. Any German/Bavarian lager yeast with a large starter. The easiest no-starter way to go is to use Saflager W34/70 (2 packets per 5 gal). It's the same as WLP830 and Wyeast 2124.

I put this Boston lager AG recepie together from a bunch of different clones

9.33 lbs Pale Malt (2row)
.47 lbs. Caramel Crystal 40L
1.09 oz Tettnang 60 min
1.09 oz Hallertauer 15 min
2.19 oz Hallertauer 2 min
.25 oz Hallertauer dry hop 5 days
1 pkg Saflager dry yeast
Mash @ 150-152 ( i added extra water in the mash by mistake 4.5 gal instead of 3.5 but it seemed to be ok
OG 1.050

The ingredient numbers are odd because I wanted to keep everything in the style parameters. Tasted before i went to secondary, pretty good so far.

Back