Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any one brew the Tafelbier?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
g_rath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Any one brew the Tafelbier?

I was thinking about making this and was just wondering if any one has made it and how it turned out. Sounds like a good lawnmower beer with a Belgian twist.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 9 Posts

I don't know what that is. Could you post more info? Maybe a link to a product or a description.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Ego Archive
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This months Zymurgy had an article with a "Schoolhouse Tafelbier" recipe, that might be what the OP is referring to. After looking at the article, I have to admit that I'm curious as to how bold (Flavor wise) I could make a 2-3% beer.

I'm thinking if you used a good amount of Vienna, and the carmelizetion method, you might be able to fake the body....

Planning:SWMBO Berry wine, Imperial Coffee Stout, Shaved Nut(s) Brown ale.
In Primary:Apfelwein, American Pale Ale
In Secondary:
Conditioning:Sweet Chocolate Stout
On Tap: Apple Clove Mead (Bottled), 120 IPA Clone,Thanksgiving Amber Gruit (yuck), Pyment, Sweet Chocolate Stout

Old 05-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
g_rath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes that was what i was talking about. I tried to edit my post but something was messed up and I didn’t have time to mess with it.
So I just decided to try it for fun. I will let you know how it turns out.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Time to Zombify this thread, after all it's one of 4 hits I got when googling Tafelbier!

My question is the same as the OP, has anyone attempted this brew? It appeared in the May/June 2009 issue of Zymurgy. Apparently the back story is that in 2001 there was a Belgian Pilot program to replace sodas with low alcohol bier in schools, about 2%. The result was apparently termed Tafelbier.

Original Recipe below:
Note 1 gallon of first runnings are to be caramelized/boiled for 1 hour.

For 5.5 gallons:
3.75 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
1.0 lb Caravienne Malt
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt
0.5 oz Saaz 3.2% (60 min)
1.0 tsp freshly cracked black pepper (5 min)
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Ale

OG = 1.025
IBU = 7.2
SRM = 6.0

WhyBeNormal Likes This 
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tafelbier, "table beer"...must be a variation on a theme for "table wine" aka Blue Nun, et. al.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
Nugent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Tafelbier, "table beer"...must be a variation on a theme for "table wine" aka Blue Nun, et. al.
Blue Nun ... shudder ... my nana used to drink that, or dry white with a teaspoon of sugar in it. Ugh.

Seriously though, a very interesting idea and story about serving it to school kids. When I see my students have a can of soda and a packet of chips at 9 am, really how can this be worse for them? Wouldn't fly up here either - our booze laws are even more 'temperate' than those in the US.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
STEVENJAN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default My version

I actually made a low alcohol beer. 1# Wheat DME with 1 cup Corn sugar in a 2 gal. primary (I used my Mr. beer Barrel) It is 2.2 abv It tastes ok.
It is a little thin. I drink it when I am really thirsty but I don't want a quick buzz. I have a couple of bottles left.
I would try some flavor enhancers like the pepper in the Zymurgy recipe. I think it has endless possibilities. How about some orange oil? Just thinking out loud. I might try an amber DME or a dark. Something with a little more body. Put some honey in it maybe.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 33

My idea was to brew this with a slightly different grain bill to try for more body/mouthfeel. Also thought I'd add a little homemade candy syrup to keep it in the belgian tradition. I'll probably hit this recipe in a couple months.

% LB OZ Grain
60% 3 2 Belgian Pale
19% 1 0 Belgian CaraVienne
7% 0 6 Belgian Candy Sugar Light info
7% 0 6 Wheat, Torrified
6% 0 5 Belgian Aromatic

.325 oz Tradition @ 60 Min 6AAU

Yeast WLP 550

Essentially I took the original recipe, added wheat for a little body (might need to add more), candy sugar for character, & reduced the base malt to offset the other additions.

Has anyone brewed it?

Schlante,
Phillip

Old 07-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Funny, I'll actually be making this recipe this weekend, but I'm going to do it with pilsner extract and wing it. It might turn out terrible, who knows.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)