Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I may have messed up. For serious. Lol

Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Cuchalain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I may have messed up. For serious. Lol

Ok, so I couldn't figure out why my OG was so high. It's 1.20. Which according to everyone on this forum is high. I'm making a choc. stout. Well, I think I know where I went wrong. Not only is my recipe super malty, like a metric **** ton of malt, but I used a coffee grinder instead of a miller. Ummm.... so yeah, I've got a lot of visible sediment in my fermenter from it. Would this affect my OG? Guessing that it would. So I know I'm going to need to filter it, but how do I filter it and keep the yeast in for bottling to build up my carb? My only idea right now is to filter into a secondary ferm, then dropp another pack of yeast in it. Good plan, bad plan? Btw, coffee grinders = extra work.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
size
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm not sure if that would jack it all the way up to 1.200, can you give us more information? start out with the malt bill of the recipe. how many gallons are you brewing? are you sure you aren't measuring the gravity of the wort?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think you need to post more information on your recipe. Is this an extract brew, extract with grains, or All grain?

If you added any top off water did you mix it well? (This is a common new brewer error that throws gravity readings off).

Old 05-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm guessing extract with grains. I can't see someone using a coffee mill to grind up enough grain for an AG batch.

+1 on posting the recipe you used.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Cuchalain
Recipes 

It's got 6.6lbs of dme
3.3 dry malt powder stuff
and several other specialty grains. it's a 5gal recipe. I did top off with water, but not much. Used 2 3 gal pots for the boil. I didn't have a hydromter when I first made it, but I siphoned some of the beer off and took my readings. I may be reading the hydrometer wrong, the instructions sucked. It read -1.00
I was at the twenty mark. Is that 1.2 or 1.02? And any ideas on filtration? The coffee grinder just ground too fine for the steeping bags.

Tx. Cuch.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by size View Post
.....are you sure you aren't measuring the gravity of the wort?
Ummmmm, isn't that the procedure of measuring of "OG"? The OG of the sanitizer wouldn't be of much use.

Sorry, just busting your chops......... and enjoying it too, by the way.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6211 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchalain View Post
It's got 6.6lbs of dme
and several other specialty grains. it's a 5gal recipe. I did top off with water, but not much. Used 2 3 gal pots for the boil. I didn't have a hydromter when I first made it, but I siphoned some of the beer off and took my readings. I may be reading the hydrometer wrong, the instructions sucked. It read -1.00
I was at the twenty mark. Is that 1.2 or 1.02? And any ideas on filtration? The coffee grinder just ground too fine for the steeping bags.

Tx. Cuch.
I don't understand what you used. 6.6 pounds of DME and 2.2 dry malt powder? DME IS dry malt powder, so I'm not able to figure out what you mean.

I think your reading is incorrect, because it sounds like your reading was 1.020. I don't think your hydrometer even goes up to 1.200.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchalain View Post
It's got 6.6lbs of dme

Tx. Cuch.
Yes, the 20 line would be 1.020. At this point, I'd leave it alone. The sediment will settle to the bottom after a couple weeks. Trying to filter it now will just raise your chances if introducing bad stuff into it.

While you're waiting for it to clear, read this.
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
Cuchalain
Recipes 

sorry, when i said 6.6lbs of dme, i meant dark malt extract. Alrighty, I'll leaver it alone. Lol. Thx alot for puttying my mind to rest.

Cuch.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And I think that your reading was low because your wort and top up water didn't get properly mixed, which is really easy to have happen when you're using extract and doing a partial boil. It's probably right around what your recipe said it should be. Maybe a little off because of your... extra-extra fine grain milling you did but the specialty grains wouldn't add much even if there was something in it that would provide the enzymes to convert.