How much grain can my mash/lauter tun hold? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much grain can my mash/lauter tun hold?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
mcjake
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 57


I have a five gallon cooler mash/lauter tun and I've been looking at some recipes that call for 15 pounds of grain. How much grain can I realistically mash with my current set up?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Johnny9
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
McKinney, TX
Posts: 96

someone posted this link previously. I use it all the time. Scroll down and look for "Can You Mash It?"

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

good luck

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ShortSnoutBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Posts: 3,213
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Check this out:
Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

But the short answer is no, you can't do 15lbs in a 5 gallon cooler. I think I've maxed out at around 12 or 13 lbs in my 5 gallon. Quickly upgraded to a 10 gallon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
lamarguy
 
lamarguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,653
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjake View Post
I have a five gallon cooler mash/lauter tun and I've been looking at some recipes that call for 15 pounds of grain. How much grain can I realistically mash with my current set up?
At 1.25 qt/lb of grain, ~12 lbs is your limit. I used to mash up to 15 lbs in a 7 gallon stock pot.
__________________
Doggfather Brewery

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
 
Cpt_Kirks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Posts: 3,723
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts


12 pounds is about the practical maximum. Some go for 14 pounds, but that is pushing it IMHO. I only go up to 11 pounds, myself. If my gravity comes out light, I add a dab of DME or corn sugar.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
mcjake
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
At 1.25 qt/lb of grain, ~12 lbs is your limit. I used to mash up to 15 lbs in a 7 gallon stock pot.
If I mashed 15 pounds in a stock pot how would I lauter? Slowly transfer it into my 5 gallon cooler while collecting the wort?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
mcjake
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
12 pounds is about the practical maximum. Some go for 14 pounds, but that is pushing it IMHO. I only go up to 11 pounds, myself. If my gravity comes out light, I add a dab of DME or corn sugar.
I have allergies to DME and LME so that is pretty much out of the question. I'm not sure what that's all about. But my LHBS said that they sometimes use lemon juice or citric acid to preserve them. And yeah, I'm allergic to lemon and lime juice.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
HSM
 
HSM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
McMurray, PA
Posts: 460
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjake View Post
I have allergies to DME and LME so that is pretty much out of the question. I'm not sure what that's all about. But my LHBS said that they sometimes use lemon juice or citric acid to preserve them. And yeah, I'm allergic to lemon and lime juice.
Just another reason why extracts should be labeled with ingredients.

I dont know if there is citric acid in extracts, but if your body knows it knows.

Back on Topic...
I use a 36 qt rectangular Igloo and I've mashed 15 lbs with room to spare.
__________________
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Long Island
Posts: 4,646
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts


I've had 13 1/2# at 1 qt per lb. I could probably has squeezed another 1/2# in there (I was up to within 1 inch of the top).
15# is over the top quite literally.

-a.
__________________
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #10
Donner
 
Donner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Oxford, MS
Posts: 823
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjake View Post
If I mashed 15 pounds in a stock pot how would I lauter? Slowly transfer it into my 5 gallon cooler while collecting the wort?
I guess it depends on if you fly sparge or batch spage. Fly sparging would require you to time the in and the out. Batch sparging would just require you to do as many as it took to hit your volumes without overflowing your MLT.
__________________
DonFeitel.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mash Lauter Tun chemist308 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 01-08-2009 12:03 AM
max grain a keggle will mash/hold. terrazza Equipment/Sanitation 3 12-03-2008 08:22 AM
24 Qt Mash/Lauter Tun? pdxhophead Equipment/Sanitation 3 03-08-2008 10:22 PM
Using you Mash Tun as a Lauter Tun Forrest Equipment/Sanitation 4 03-01-2007 05:06 PM
mash/lauter tun from a keg perry All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 11-25-2006 10:26 PM


Forum Jump