Hop pellets - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop pellets

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
sundaybrewingco
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Croydon, Pennsylvania
Posts: 292
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts



Just thinking back on my IPA I made on Sunday, I realized I never put the hop pellets for dry hopping in the refridgerator. They are still sealed. If I put them in the refridgerator today are they still OK to be used? or should I buy some fresh ones for when the time comes.. They have been room temperature for 4 days...
__________________
“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.” -Frank Zappa

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #2

If they are in the original mylar nitrogen-flushed sealed bag, they're just fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
sundaybrewingco
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Croydon, Pennsylvania
Posts: 292
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
If they are in the original mylar nitrogen-flushed sealed bag, they're just fine.
I'm not sure if it nitrogen-flushed, but I know they are in a vacuum sealed bag from my LHBS. Still good to toss them in the fridge after 4 days?
__________________
“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.” -Frank Zappa

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaybrewingco View Post
I'm not sure if it nitrogen-flushed, but I know they are in a vacuum sealed bag from my LHBS. Still good to toss them in the fridge after 4 days?
Yup - they're fine. If they're vac-sealed, you have no reason to worry. Oxygen does far more damage to hops than four days at room temp.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
ajwillys
 
ajwillys's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 1,296
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaybrewingco View Post
Just thinking back on my IPA I made on Sunday, I realized I never put the hop pellets for dry hopping in the refridgerator. They are still sealed. If I put them in the refridgerator today are they still OK to be used? or should I buy some fresh ones for when the time comes.. They have been room temperature for 4 days...
They are definitely completely worthless pieces of junk. They will completely ruin your beer. You better send them to me for testing in my upcoming IPA.

Seriously, they're fine. Probably a good idea to put them in the fridge/freezer but after only a couple days, I'm sure there be no difference at all.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
springer
 
springer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Posts: 4,743
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts


they are fine just think of it this way if being at room temp a few days ruined hops there would be no way to order them online. if the seal is still intact nothing to worry about
__________________
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using pellets in a hop bag Gonefishing General Techniques 36 07-09-2012 12:34 AM
Hop pellets...... barracudamagoo General Beer Discussion 25 12-05-2009 08:36 PM
Albany, NY area: Trade my hop pellets for your Hallertauer pellets Ksosh General Beer Discussion 5 09-21-2009 01:53 PM
hop bag with pellets? defenestrate General Techniques 4 11-20-2008 10:37 PM
hop pellets? Daznz Extract Brewing 17 04-20-2006 01:33 AM


Forum Jump