Half Ass Competiton - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Half Ass Competiton

Old 05-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
chefchris

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

So I entered the Big and Huge Competition in Wisconsin. I ended up taking second place with my IPA out of 51 beers. This competition was categorized by OG and Ale or Lager. So you have Big, Huge and Mammoth categories under both Ale and Lager. This IPA fell into the Mammoth category.

So I get my ribbon in and it says "Second Place Mammoth Lager". Which is wrong. I contacted them about it and they reply, "There was a mix up with the printers and they unfortunately printed Mammoth Lagers on the Mammoth Ale Category. So the category ribbon was not correct. Did you receive the correct ribbon as far as receiving a second place ribbon?"

Why would you send out the wrong ribbon knowing it's wrong?! You paid for the ribbons, make them do it again!

Then I get to reading the score sheets. I think one of the judges was trying to see how well he could write with his left hand and lead eye closed. You can pick out maybe 3 words this guy wrote on the whole page. I'll try and take a picture when I get home. How am I suppose to take anything away from this?!

On top of this, the beer only scored a 34! I got second place with a 34 point beer out of 51 beers?!

None of this makes sense.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 05-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Hoover, Alabama USA, Alabama
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Then I get to reading the score sheets. I think one of the judges was trying to see how well he could write with his left hand and lead eye closed.
he must have really enjoyed the beer - lol

Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Chicago, IL
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah that sukz. I mean 2nd place wtf? You should ask them to shove it.
/sarcasm
<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 05-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Trubadour

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Frisco, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, congrats on the 2nd place!

My Keezer

Old 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
chefchris

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryHopHead View Post
Well, congrats on the 2nd place!
Thanks, I felt good about it especially considering how many beers were in the category. But when I saw the score I felt ashamed.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Chicago, IL
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Think of it as a curve. Some judges wouldn't even give Two Hearted, of DFH, or a true trappist a plus 45 score. It alldepends on the level of snobbery and their need to "dock points" for imagined flaws...
<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5101 Times on 3449 Posts

Some good commercial beers wouldn't place great in a true BJCP competition for some judges. Great beers, but they can't all taste the same.

It's a shame that the judge didn't write clearly enough to be helpful, and a shame the ribbon was wrong. I agree that they should get it corrected. I think maybe they didn't have time to get new before the competition. The printer should do up another for free for them (unless the error was actually their own fault and they tossed the printer under the bus.)

I'm looking into becoming a BJCP judge, firstly so that I can learn how to pick out off-flavors in my own beer, and also to help judge in case a local place wants to host a competition. If you have not looked into it, please do. You may not understand the amount of information and skill it takes to judge beers, especially if there are time constraints added.