Alcohol content by state - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alcohol content by state

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
AbRew
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Fayetteville
Posts: 12


I heard that alcohol contents of beers change from state to state. I was told that Oklahoma's beer (budweiser and the like) has a lower alocohol content than in other states. And I also heard that Texas beer has more alcohol than in other states. Is this the truth or just a myth?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Christian
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 321

Here in Utah no store can sell beer with a higher alcohol content than 3.2% by weight (which is 4.0% by volume). This keeps most beer styles and brewers from being sold in the state. The state run liquor stores (which only so many allowed per area based on population) do carry higher alcohol percentage beers but the selection sucks and none of the state run stores are allowed to have refrigeration. Our ABC board is full of religious non-drinkers.
__________________
I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"


CMAC'S Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Clayton
 
Clayton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
NE Oklahoma
Posts: 1,484
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts


in oklahoma all beer sold in the stores ( non liquore store witch can only sale alcohol, not even salt or shot glasses- 9am to 9pm mon-sat) we can buy "normal" beer in teh liquore stores but thay cant cool it,, so any beer that has too be kept cool from brewey to dislpay shelve , has to have a 3.2 ver or thay dont sale it,,, all BMC has house rules to keep there beer cool , so there is no 6 point ver here we can buy.

there have been a few beers i could not buy any more becase there distrobution company had or thay switch to one that did , temp rules,, the one i can remeber off hand is Grolsch , thay have to keep there beer cold and there is no 3.2 ver so i cant get it anymore..

as far as i know some stuff is 3.2 everywhere like bud light ,, but in oklahoma it has to be certifide 3.2 be cause here 3.2% alcohol is consiterd a "non intoxacating substance"
so it can be sold out side a liqure store.
wich was a funny deal that people used to get out of DUIs for years till thay fixed the law.
__________________
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. ~ W.C. Fields

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
jmo88
 
jmo88's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Seattle
Posts: 1,380
Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
in oklahoma all beer sold in the stores ( non liquore store witch can only sale alcohol, not even salt or shot glasses- 9am to 9pm mon-sat) we can buy "normal" beer in teh liquore stores but thay cant cool it,, so any beer that has too be kept cool from brewey to dislpay shelve , has to have a 3.2 ver or thay dont sale it,,, all BMC has house rules to keep there beer cool , so there is no 6 point ver here we can buy.

there have been a few beers i could not buy any more becase there distrobution company had or thay switch to one that did , temp rules,, the one i can remeber off hand is Grolsch , thay have to keep there beer cold and there is no 3.2 ver so i cant get it anymore..

as far as i know some stuff is 3.2 everywhere like bud light ,, but in oklahoma it has to be certifide 3.2 be cause here 3.2% alcohol is consiterd a "non intoxacating substance"
so it can be sold out side a liqure store.

wich was a funny deal that people used to get out of DUIs for years till thay fixed the law.
Crazy! You write like those Nigerian scam emails I get. No disrespect...
__________________
(~):} Just a little Furthur (~):}

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Stef1966
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Quebec, Canada
Posts: 390
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


This is funny from a Canadian's point of view...

In Canada, i don't believe there is any beer restriction laws anywhere...

You can get cold refrigerated beer of many brands on every street corner store as easily as milk or Pepsi... a common item here really.

Unless you're under 18, then you cant buy anything with alcohol in it.

Seems like there is still a great fear of alcohol in the states in order to have such laws that seemingly are an attempt at taming the whole thing?

Good luck for you guys, looks like you're gonna need it.
__________________
As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
DeutscheMaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Fort Riley, Kansas
Posts: 136
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef1966 View Post



Seems like there is still a great fear of alcohol in the states in order to have such laws that seemingly are an attempt at taming the whole thing?

Good luck for you guys, looks like you're gonna need it.
USA, founded by people so uptight the British kicked them out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
remilard
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 3,654
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef1966 View Post
This is funny from a Canadian's point of view...

In Canada, i don't believe there is any beer restriction laws anywhere...

You can get cold refrigerated beer of many brands on every street corner store as easily as milk or Pepsi... a common item here really.

Unless you're under 18, then you cant buy anything with alcohol in it.

Seems like there is still a great fear of alcohol in the states in order to have such laws that seemingly are an attempt at taming the whole thing?

Good luck for you guys, looks like you're gonna need it.
Alcohol laws in the US vary by State, as they vary by Province and Territory in Canada.

Beer is not sold in privately owned stores in British Columbia, for example.

In Missouri, I can buy alcohol in every grocery store and gas station. I can even drink it while riding in a car (in most parts of the state).

Sorry to burst your superiority bubble.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
camiller
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,905
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
... all BMC has house rules to keep there beer cool ...
? what? BMC's products (except kegs) are pasteurized and do not have to be kept cool. Around here the bottled/caned products are delivered in non refrigerated trucks and are typically warehoused at room temp (I've had to pick stuff up from the AB distributor before). Kegs, on the other hand, are not pasteurized and must be kept cool. Kegs are delivered in refrigerated trucks and warehoused in a cooler big enough to drive into (although I've only seen forklifts driving in there)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Pangea
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Lafayette, LA
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


In Louisiana, there are very lax laws about alcoholic beverages. For example, we have drive through daquiris everywhere. They just dont put the straw in, so its not an "open container". I used to work at one and we even had cops pull through to pick up a couple roadies on the way home. People from out of town always get a kick out of the drive thrus.

Another interesting note about louisiana is the lack of open container law enforcement for pedestrians. I can walk all the way around town with by beer if I want. If you've ever been to mardi gras, you know what I mean.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
chenwood
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 63

Vermont allows beer up to 16% and you can buy at any gas station or corner store. I go to PA a lot and their beer laws drive me insane. Why can't they sell friggin six packs from the beer store?!!L:KDJSFLKJ SLFJK


smiley face not intentional

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
very low alcohol content gent1987 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 06-05-2009 06:38 PM
Alcohol Content tigerface Recipes/Ingredients 4 09-27-2008 04:53 PM
alcohol content dqeuvtcxotaa Mead Forum 6 03-04-2008 05:31 AM
Getting the alcohol content right crafalik Cider Forum 2 07-08-2006 04:12 PM
low alcohol content Mike's Brew and Brat Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 11-23-2005 01:20 PM


Forum Jump