Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fruit Sludge

Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
pizzaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Fruit Sludge

I've had a few pounds of blackberries wrapped up in the freezer for several days now, I took them out yesterday to thaw and sprinkled three crushed campden tablets over them and gave em a good stir then stuck it in the fridge overnight. This morning I pull them out and it looks like the entrails of a dead animal. They were sealed in two ziplock bags and wrapped in paper towels while in the freezer, stored in a tupperware container while stored in the fridge so I can't imagine they've gone bad. Unfortunately my allergies prevent me from being able to tell if they smell bad or not, I can't see any kind of mold or growth, there are no longer any noticeable berries to be found just seeds and oatmeally sludge. Anyone ever had this happen? I can still use this no?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
dantose
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

No expert, but google returned a similar experience which described the bleaching as normal.
Quote:
The metabisulphite causes a little bleaching of the color as it sits but doesn’t harm the color of the wine.
Blackberry Wine The Adventures of Eydie and Sammy Wight

Old 05-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've gotten so used to just searching the forum here I've forgotten about the wonders of google...