Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Water bottles work for bottle conditioning

Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Patton191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water bottles work for bottle conditioning

I just used about 37 0.5 L bottles to bottle my scottish 80 schilling with 4 oz corn sugar. The bottom begins to bulge, but it still seems very sturdy. I am telling you all this because there is a misconception that these bottles are unable to hold pressure. I had asked numerous times and most people said any amount of pressure will make these bottles explode.

So if you are looking for some cheap bottles go pick up a 32 pack of Nestle Pure life or any other brand of water for $5.

This is the kind I am talking about.

Also by the way, if anyone does decide to use some water bottles, I would recommend throwing them out after one use simply because if the bottom is bulged out it just doesnt seem like a good idea to recarbonate in them.

Patton

Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 29

How many volumes was that?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
there is a misconception that these bottles are unable to hold pressure
I guess it depends on your definition of "able".

Quote:
I had asked numerous times and most people said any amount of pressure will make these bottles explode.
I looked in the two threads you started on this topic and nobody said that.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
mkorpal
Recipes 

How permeable to gas movement are they. I imagine after a few weeks, all the co2 would eventually find it's way out of the bottle.

And I don't know why you would risk a $30 batch of beer on these bottles.
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Diablo
Recipes 

I just bottled my first batch using a mixture of 0.5l German Weissbier bottles and 1 litre PET bottles. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing beer in plastic bottles with a screw top so will move to all glass as soon as I can drink enough Paulaner to have enough bottles. I think the de-labeled Weissbier bottles just look so cool.

Edit: Although having 1 clear PET bottle is nice as you can feel the beer carbonating, check the clarity and see the sediment settling at the bottom,

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Weezknight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think I would be less worried about the pressure, and more concerned with the fact that they are clear bottles. But that's just me. I guess this is a good tip to file under the "Frugal Brewer" category?
Planning: 4 Bines IPA, Heights #10 Irish Red
Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Bottled: N/A

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used plastic bottles once when I was making beer (a la Mr. Beer) in college. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD idea. Gave the beer a horrible off-flavor and killed any kind of head you might have had. I made that batch with 1/2 glass (we were dirt poor) and 1/2 plastic and the difference between the two were night and day. Just don't do it.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've used PET bottles that came with my Coopers since September. I am not going to use them anymore because some bottles from my last batch did not have that much carbonation. I've used them for around 10 batches so I think thats enough. I also used seltzer bottles and they are still ok. Water bottles on the other hand I dont think will work that well since they are not supposed to hold pressure.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 05-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Burro2882
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is not really meant to be a cheap hobby. im usually all about pinching a penny or two if possible but its not really worth it to risk a whole batch on cheap plastic bottles. might as well spend the money on bottles that can be re-used over and over.

plus i can see the plastic giving an off flavor like what SmugMug said.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Chips
Recipes 

I'm a little disorganized with my bottle keeping and when it comes time to bottle I always have a combination of plastic & glass. The plastic bottles I use include both the 0.5L PET bottles that homebrew shops sell, as well as the 591mL coke-style bottles (I prefer ones that come with club soda, but if I have to use ones that came with coke in them, I'll soak them overnight in oxyclean which seems to destroy all coke flavour leftovers).

Anyways I digress. Basically I've never noticed a difference between glass and plastic. However...I usually drink my beer faster than oxygen could theoretically permeate the plastic! That being said if I can exercise enough control to set a few bottles away for a year I'll make sure they're glass.