Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewing drier beers?

Old 08-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
perry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing drier beers?

Hey, everyone. I'm trying to get my pale ales and IPA's to taste less sweet... not necessarily lower alcohol, just less of that sweet-tongue feel. I've cut way back on the crystal and cara-pils and I'm mashing in at 150 (dropping to 142 after two hours) but it seems that I'm still getting some residual sugar... more than I want, anyway.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, p

Old 08-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

You're already doing what can be done to get lower FGs--mashing at lower temp, using less crystal, etc.

What yeast strain(s) are you using? You could try a more attenuative yeast strain.

What FGs are you getting and what are you going for? This seems like an odd problem to me--I'm usually more concerned with not letting the FG get too low, which gives most ales a BMC-ish quality to my tastes.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 08-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Crush a few tablets of beano and toss them in the fermenter. I guarantee you will have dry beer....

Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I'd try the high atten. yeast first. Nottinham for dry. Not sure about liquid. none of wyeast's starins claim to go more than 77% max.

You could also try mashing at 131 - 150 range for 1hr (140 - 150 would be best.) That's almost pure beta range. Then mash at 160 for 15 to make sure everything is converted. If you don't mash at 160 then hold that beta mash for longer. beta works slower.

Alpha runs 154 and up though it will work slowly below that, I'd try 146 for 1.5 hrs and see how that goes.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can mash lower, use adjuncts (corn/rice), less crystal/dextrine malt, use sugar, use a more highly attenuative yeast, hop slightly higher (bittering), carbonate slightly higher. The latter two will create the illusion of a less sweet beer which is often half the battle. I reckon the reason for most sweet tasting beers is that someone has followed a recipe based on a certain number of IBU's, yet their set-up has given them less than intended (which can be down to countless reasons).

Begin by mashing lower, use an attentive yeast and using less crystal.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterio
You can mash lower, use adjuncts (corn/rice), less crystal/dextrine malt, use sugar, use a more highly attenuative yeast, hop slightly higher (bittering), carbonate slightly higher. The latter two will create the illusion of a less sweet beer which is often half the battle. I reckon the reason for most sweet tasting beers is that someone has followed a recipe based on a certain number of IBU's, yet their set-up has given them less than intended (which can be down to countless reasons).

Begin by mashing lower, use an attentive yeast and using less crystal.
I was going to mention several of those also, especially using a tad more bittering hops and some rice syrup. I would also recommend setting in the secondary a bit more to get the FG down under 1.010.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
perry
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using mostly American Ale, German Ale, and Irish ale yeasts, and getting FG's anywhere from 1.009 to 1.014.

An average batch of pale usually includes 1/2 lb crystal and 1/2 lb cara-pils. Does that seem like a lot, given my goal for drier beers?

Also, I'm generally shooting for 14 to 17 AAU's bittering, but I'm using whole hops and hop sacks, so I may not be getting the full effect.

The carbonation thing is interesting.... I do tend to carb my beers a bit lower, serving and storing at about 10 PSI. I'll try upping that a bit.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry
Thanks for the feedback. I'm using mostly American Ale, German Ale, and Irish ale yeasts, and getting FG's anywhere from 1.009 to 1.014.
That's pretty dry, really. I'd be disappointed if most of the beers I brewed fermented out to 1.009.

I might be tempted to say that whatever quality it is that you're disatisfied with in your beers, I don't necessarily think a lower FG would fix it.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Definately try more bittering hops, perry.

IBU's are very subjective. The name 'international bittering units' is pretty misleading, like somehow they're objective. Then you have the question of the BU:GU ratio. Remember bitterness is primarily there to balance sweetness. 50 IBU's may be too bitter in a light lager but too sweet in an IPA. Hop sacks and whole hops will both be pulling your bitterness down - that's not to say they're bad methods, just use more.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest making sure you pitch adequate yeast (do a big starter) and making sure to aerate really well, but those FG ranges are about spot on, especially considering the yeasts you mention. In that case I definately put in a vote for more bittering hops. This should balance out the sweetness and it should be percieved less in that case. What were your OGs for those ranges? Remember for a beer like an IPA you want BU:GU (bitterness:grain units) of right around 1.