Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it possible to mash for too long?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
pnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: seattle
Posts: 502
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default Is it possible to mash for too long?

damm noobs!

I've got about 8 pounds of grain that has been sitting at 140 or so for an hour. I am doing this in my oven, with the grains in stock pots. In my last few partial mash beers, the oven stayed at an even 150 so I figured that was what it would do this time. I guess the larger amount of grains is messing with the oven temp.

So I turned the oven up a tad and am now closer to 150. the grains have been soaking for nearly one and a half hours now. an hour at 140 and about half hour at near 150. actually, I just took another temp and it's around 144.. dammit.

What effect might this have on my beer?

the iodine test is still turning black so I know I need to soak longer and I'm guessing at a higher temp?


pnj is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,774
Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
damm noobs!

I've got about 8 pounds of grain that has been sitting at 140 or so for an hour. I am doing this in my oven, with the grains in stock pots. In my last few partial mash beers, the oven stayed at an even 150 so I figured that was what it would do this time. I guess the larger amount of grains is messing with the oven temp.

So I turned the oven up a tad and am now closer to 150. the grains have been soaking for nearly one and a half hours now. an hour at 140 and about half hour at near 150. actually, I just took another temp and it's around 144.. dammit.

What effect might this have on my beer?

the iodine test is still turning black so I know I need to soak longer and I'm guessing at a higher temp?
A long cold mash... will be a VERY dry beer. Low temps, equal longer to convert.


The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
pnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: seattle
Posts: 502
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default

eh..

Now the grains have been sitting at 150 for another hour and I still get black when I do the iodine test. But the wort is sweet tasting... what gives?
pnj is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
WBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WBC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: La Puente, CA, California
Posts: 2,175
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

You are getting some conversion if it is tasting sweet. The iodine test works well so trust it. An oven is a poor way to mash. You are much better off with a cooler/mash-tun. They are not too expensive either.
__________________
Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor


“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”
WBC is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,673
Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Default

Low temperatures mean a slower conversion, beta amylase is active down to 130F, but alpha doesn't do much down there.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk
david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
mmb
FFS, really?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WBMI
Posts: 26,346
Liked 3373 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
You are getting some conversion if it is tasting sweet. The iodine test works well so trust it. An oven is a poor way to mash. You are much better off with a cooler/mash-tun. They are not too expensive either.
Heck, he'd be better off with a pot on the stove top and monitoring temps with direct fire.
__________________
White Dog Aleworks and Drafthouse
mmb is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,380
Liked 467 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
eh..

Now the grains have been sitting at 150 for another hour and I still get black when I do the iodine test. But the wort is sweet tasting... what gives?
Stop doing the freakin' iodine test! It's so easy to get a false reading that I find it nearly useless. If you mash for an hour or more at temps from 145-160F, you WILL have conversion.
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
pnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: seattle
Posts: 502
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default

The iodine test is fun and it's new to me, so why not do it?

I ended up with an OG of 1.050 after all was said and done and now I'm putting together the plans for a cooler mash tun. I learned a bunch during my time last night and that's most important to me.
pnj is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,380
Liked 467 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Default

"The iodine test is fun and it's new to me, so why not do it?"...becasue it's easy to get false results and it's not necessary. Good enough for me....
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014
Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Bowtiebrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seymour, CT
Posts: 823
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

so sayeth Denny!!! All hail Denny King of the Batch Sparge!!

Nah he is right its all to easy to get a false reading...


Bowtiebrewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long mash, sour mash salzar All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 20 12-28-2011 05:38 PM
How long of a mash is actually necessary? bgrubb7 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 25 11-21-2010 03:52 PM
How long to mash an RIS? crazyboy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 03-28-2009 04:20 AM
How long to mash for? Cugel All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 06-07-2008 11:32 AM
Can you mash too long? BierMuncher All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 01-27-2007 03:24 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS