Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First AG: Analysis & Questions

Old 05-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Berlbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First AG: Analysis & Questions

After 6 extract batches I convinced myself there was no use tooling around when I could still be learning and getting better. So I built FlyGuy's round cooler MLT and immersion chiller, bought a Bayou Classic on craigslist, and got started. Naturally my first recipe was EdWort's Haus Pale.

Overall everything went nicely. Here were a few worrysome key points:

I mashed at 151, I don't think this was an issue. I was shooting for 152 but I guess I just didn't make it there. Following EdWort's instructions I sparged with 3.25 gal of 175 water. It took me a minute to get my steel braid to start flowing properly but when it did I had about 6-6.5 gallons of wort.

The boil went nicely, had a small boil over in my 30-qt pot but no damage done because I was outside. My immersion chiller worked beautifully, I can't believe I ever lived without it!

But here is my #1 concern- I slipped a little on the wood floor when I was walking over to rehydrate my Nottingham, about 1/3 of the yeast spilled on the floor. I know Notty is a strong yeast and there is probably more in one package than you actually neer per 5 gallon batch, but with only 2/3 of the Nottingham in my primary I'm concerned I won't be able to ferment as dry as I'd like... something like 1.008.

Should I consider pitching some more? Or wait and see what some hydrometer readings are like in the next few days? In the end my SG was 1.040, wah wah wah. I guess that means my efficency wasn't so great, but it's my first AG so I won't let it bother me.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you will be fine. even a partial package of Nottingham should chew through that wort without issue.

Kegged - Where's Waldo Amber Ale
Dry peppering - Jalapeno Wheat
On the fruit - Currant Wheat and Huckleberry Wheat

Primary - FUBAR Weizenbock and Accidental Dunkelweizen

Hops - Centennial, Nugget, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Willamette, Magnum, Chinook

Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Berlbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbronze View Post
I think you will be fine. even a partial package of Nottingham should chew through that wort without issue.
Really? You think I'll be able to achieve that low of an FG with a partial pack of Notty? Sadly I have to brew at my parent's house which is about 50 minutes away so I can't check on it regularly like a newborn baby.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You'll be fine. Pitching rate for that OG and volume is 141 BILLION cells. That is 8 grams of DRY yeast, your packet was probably 11 grams anyway.

You are fine.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Berlbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
You'll be fine. Pitching rate for that OG and volume is 141 BILLION cells. That is 8 grams of DRY yeast, your packet was probably 11 grams anyway.

You are fine.
Awesome. Where is that info available? Wiki?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If everything else is golden, so is the yeast... FWIW... I used 1 Notty in a 10 gallon batch of 1.060+ and it ate it up!! You should be in great shape!! Notty & US-05 are my favorites for dry yeast.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlbrew View Post
Awesome. Where is that info available? Wiki?
Mr Malty pitch rate calc.