Kettle fired up!! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Kettle fired up!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Snafu
 
Snafu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Posts: 931
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


heres the sparge


tried to fix the rotation, I hope it came out right.

Heres a shot of the foamy boil
__________________
I have vessels, some contain beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
Snafu
 
Snafu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Posts: 931
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


heres the chiller in action


This one is 6 hours after pitching yeast. I really need to get a blow off tube!
__________________
I have vessels, some contain beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Snafu
 
Snafu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Posts: 931
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


All in all I'm pretty happy with the process thus far. Estimated pre boil was .051 I came in at .040 Estimated OG was .057 I came in with .044 (barely made it in style). My BE sucked, I think it was 58%. I will get better with more AG's under my belt. I'll let ya know where the FG comes in later.

I was using a 5gal SS false bottom in the bottom of my 10gal cooler, LHBS warned me to be careful not to hit it or the tube may come off, sure enough it did. Had to pour off the mash, reattach the tube, refill and start the fly sparge. I think that may be where I lost abit of my efficiency. I think the temps may have dropped. I had to change out the air lock this morning, it was nasty! I had a clean one ready to go as I was expecting a fast ferment. I did up a starter for this batch (also a first) and was showing signs within hours.
__________________
I have vessels, some contain beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Snafu
 
Snafu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Posts: 931
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


If you have to brew outdoors in the sun, at least make it nice and shady!
__________________
I have vessels, some contain beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
CharlosCarlies
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
CharlosCarlies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Conroe, TX
Posts: 713
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Congrats on your first AG! Feels good doesn't it?

I can't really tell from the picture, but are you fly sparging?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Where was your grain crushed? What was your water:grain ratio?

I agree, the snafu with the false bottom probably cost you some points, but I am not sure how many, since your mash was already complete.

Yah, I know about the mashout and grain bed temp. BUT, I used to never mash out and my grain bed was 150F MAX and I still got 78% eff. So I beleive that you can lose a few points with a low grain bed temp during the sparge, but not say 20 points.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
hukdizzle
 
hukdizzle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Kirkland, Washington
Posts: 402
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


It is just a guess but your crush looks a bit too coarse, if you have your own crusher you may want to consider tightening down the clearance.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
KUbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Huntington, WV
Posts: 275
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Is that a glass of water I see in the second pic??? Replace that with a nice homebrew and I'm sure your efficiency will jump 20 points!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #19
Snafu
 
Snafu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Posts: 931
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlosCarlies View Post
Congrats on your first AG! Feels good doesn't it?

I can't really tell from the picture, but are you fly sparging?
Ayup, I fly sparge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Where was your grain crushed? What was your water:grain ratio?

I agree, the snafu with the false bottom probably cost you some points, but I am not sure how many, since your mash was already complete.

Yah, I know about the mashout and grain bed temp. BUT, I used to never mash out and my grain bed was 150F MAX and I still got 78% eff. So I beleive that you can lose a few points with a low grain bed temp during the sparge, but not say 20 points.
12.75 lbs of grain. 2.8gal of water for protein rest. Added 2.5gal for saccrification rest. 2.25gal for mash out. And sparged with another 2.1gal's factoring in dead space, boil off and grain absobtion I came out with a perfect 5.50 gal's of finished wort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
It is just a guess but your crush looks a bit too coarse, if you have your own crusher you may want to consider tightening down the clearance.
I was thinking the same thing, its a new Barley Crusher, factory set, but I may tighten it up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUbrew View Post
Is that a glass of water I see in the second pic??? Replace that with a nice homebrew and I'm sure your efficiency will jump 20 points!
Yeah, its water. about 10 glasses of it during the day. But, I did enjoy a few of my Paulaner Hefeweizen's also.
__________________
I have vessels, some contain beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #20
CharlosCarlies
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
CharlosCarlies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Conroe, TX
Posts: 713
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, its a new Barley Crusher, factory set, but I may tighten it up a little.
I've been getting my grain crushed from Brewmaster's Warehouse (they use the BC w/ factory settings I believe), and I consistently get 74-78%. It seems to be about the same for others, so blaming the crush wouldn't be the first place I'd look...especially if you're fly sparging. I'd take a look at your lauter efficiency assuming everything else is in check.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric direct fired mash tun? Gussymo Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 16 03-23-2009 10:22 PM
Only in Florida - Teacher fired for Wizardry! Donasay General Chit Chat 4 05-06-2008 09:59 PM
Direct Fired MLT? AGBrewer Equipment/Sanitation 13 08-09-2007 07:02 PM
Fermentation fired up in the secondary? seansbrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 12-02-2006 05:34 AM


Forum Jump