is .8 oz c-brite + water enough to sanitize a 5 Gallon Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
i have one .8oz packet of c-brite. Is it enough to sanitize a 5 gallon vessel? If so how much water should I add?

From the manufacturers website:
SANITIZATION: No-rinse effective sanitization requires a solution of 100 ppm available chlorine. This will be achieved by dissolving the contents of an 0.8 ounce packet of C-Brite in 2 gallons of warm water. Thoroughly wet all surfaces to be sanitized. Let stand at least one minute. Drain and AIR DRY.

According to their instructions, you can mix the entire packet with 2 gallons of water, shake the hell out of your fermenter (or whatever it is you're trying to sanitize) and that should be sufficient.

FYI: That information came from the very first link that popped up when I went to google and typed in "c-brite."

awesome, thanks for the info. I did a search of the board and couldnt find anything, I shoulda used google.

I just sanitized a 5 gallon. Rinsed twice, and theres still a faint chlorine/.bleach smell, will that go away? Should I be worried?

I would be worried, personally. If you still smell bleach, you're likely going to end up with chlorine or chloramine (I forget which, I think chloramine) in the finished product. I know C-Brite claims to be a no-rinse sanitizer (or at least used to until the FDA made them get rid of that claim) but if it's leaving behind enough that you can smell it, you'll likely be able to taste it too. I would rinse the hell out of that thing until all you can smell is water.

A bit of unsolicited advice: If I were you, I would switch to a true no-rinse sanitizer like Star San or Iodophor in the very near future.

Hope everything turns out all right! I'm sure it will. :mug:

Back