Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Cascades slow to come up?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Selfsufficient
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cascades slow to come up?

Just to let everyone know, first year to brew and first year to grow. With that being said, I was curious about how fast hops come up. I believe that I probably planted a few weeks late, however, 3 of the 4 varieties are coming up decent. I planted Goldings, Sterling, Willamette and Cascade. The Cascade's are not shooting yet and I was wondering if they are a late starter?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfsufficient View Post
Just to let everyone know, first year to brew and first year to grow. With that being said, I was curious about how fast hops come up. I believe that I probably planted a few weeks late, however, 3 of the 4 varieties are coming up decent. I planted Goldings, Sterling, Willamette and Cascade. The Cascade's are not shooting yet and I was wondering if they are a late starter?
Sometimes they take a while to come through the soil, I wouldn't worry quite yet, every one of the rhizomes I have planted came up, that's 22 for 22, give it a few more days and I suspect it will push through the soil, have you started a trellis system for them? They will grow like wildfire so be prepared, good luck.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfsufficient View Post
My cascade took longer then my fuggel and pride of ringwood if that helps.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #4
Selfsufficient
Recipes 

Yep, I am fortunate enough to have a second story deck that faces south, that is approximately 14 feet above the ground including railing. That is my "office", with a sliding glass door so I should be able walk out, pick and process without much trouble. Aside from the 8 feet I have to climb the ladder to pick the middle cones. Built in trellis.....

Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought a cascade rhizome from freshops and right after I bought another from thymegarden (cause I didnt think it was going to come up) the sucker comes up after six weeks in the ground. So now I have two rhizomes in that hole growing like crazy. Like everyone said, give it some time and I am sure they will come around.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

First year growth depends more on the quality of the rhizome, than anything else. But unless something ate it, your Cascade will be fine.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Selfsufficient
Recipes 

I also went with Freshops so I won't fret anymore. Thanks for letting me relax a little. Like I said earlier, the others are coming up just fine.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I planted a northern brewer, a goldings, and a centennial rhizome this spring. The NB and golding were both sending shoots out of the soil in less than a week. After a while I was worried the centennial had either gotten too much water or not enough or something. Then this past week it poked a few bines through the surface and now they're growing up looking nice and healthy. All this is to say that some rhizomes seem to take longer than others to sprout, but it's nothing to worry about.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Mapleroots
Recipes 

I planted 4 different types of hops and the cascades are the last to come up. They have been in the ground for about three weeks and are just now starting to make there way to the light. I think this is because I planted a little deeper than I should have. Either way 9 of the 12 plants are looking very healthy, and I'm still very hopeful for the other 3.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
Sean from New Hampshire
Recipes 

My Cascade is doing the best. First to sprout last year, this year it is exploding... 20 sprouts, Goldings and Willamette's onlt about 10, less maybe.

Sean From NH