Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Good examples of BJCP styles

Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
UncleMule
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good examples of BJCP styles

So I've bought a copy of "Brewing Classic Styles". I've been looking through it and reading the descriptions of different styles. Some of the styles I am familiar with and have tried. Others I am not familiar with, but they sound interesting/good but I've never tried them. I would like to try a good commercial example (or 2 or 3) before I go ahead and brew up a recipe from the book for a particular style I'm not familiar with.
There are websites like Ratebeer and Beer Advocate that rate commercial beers. The "problem" I have with those sites is that they are being rated by your "Average Joe". There is somthing to be said for popular opinion but, I wanted to know if there is a site that is rated by BJCP judge type people. People who are very knowledgeable about style guielines and what a beer is supposed to taste like.
I know that as homebrewers we have the privilege of going outside of the guidelines to make somthing we really enjoy, but I'd like to have a proper starting reference point before I start to experiment and tweek to my liking.

Can anyone help a brother out?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BJCP site lists commercial examples within each of the style guidelines. Is that what you are looking for?

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index

Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
UncleMule
Recipes 

Yep! That looks like great place to start.
Why didn't I think to look up BJCP?