Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Weldless Valve on Aluminum Pot

Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
doggage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Weldless Valve on Aluminum Pot

I'm having a hell of a time with adding a drain valve on my aluminum pot. I got everything tightened down without the silicone o-rings first (to flatten the pot's curve.) Then I took everything apart and taped up the threaded nipple with teflon, attached it to the coupling, put on the washer and the o-ring, and inserted it through the hole from the inside. Then i put on the other o-ring, the other washer, and the lock nut and tightened everything down. The o-rings keep wanting to slip out when I tighten, but I eventually got it pretty tight without the rings slipping out. Then I attached the ball valve. After doing this about 5 times, I'm still getting a very slow drip (about one drip every 10 or 15 minutes). Should I just leave it and not worry about it? Bugs me...

Thanks for your advice.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Kuglehaus
Recipes 

Is the hole clean and free of burrs? That would be a big issue to me. I had to spend 20 min deburring a hole just because of what you are describing. I had a little smooth "lip" on the inside of the pot and until it was gone... drip....drip...drip...

Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

thanks, i'll check that. i spent a while on it, but it's pretty thin aluminum and i didn't want to make the hole too big in the process of filing it smooth.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
rcm_rx7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a weldless on a pretty thin aluminum pot as well. I couldn't get it to stop leaking either. I deburred and it still leaked a bit. I just gave up, I don't care if it drips, and after a 60 min boil burnt wort sealed it up!
Fermentation Chamber Project
Wooden Brewstand Build

Old 05-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

I ditched the o rings. I was going to buy some nipples for baby bottles and cut them into washers but SWMBO bought some silicone funnels at Christmas tree shops they look just like these .$1.99 fior a three pack now I make any size washer that I need
Click image for larger version

Name:	silicone.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	11104  

Old 05-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I ended up getting a silicone hot pad and cutting my own silicone o-rings. I made them much thicker, so they don't slip out nearly as easily. Got it all tightened down and working perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion stringer.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
beach
Recipes 

No cool pictures, but I use a silicone pie pan & cut what I need.

Michiana Grain & Extract Association at: www.mega-brew.com