Another lesson learned in patience!
Well heres the skinny. A month or so ago I brewed my first "real" batch of beer which was an extract with specialty grains going after a british ESB. Everything went good until I went to prime it and my n00bery showed. I added the sugar directly to the batch instead of mixing with boiling water FIRST so when I bottled, a lot of sugar didnt make it into the bottles.
As predicted... the beer was flatter than the midwest. No problem, Ill just get some priming tablets and add them when I get some time.
Well finals came up and I lost track of time. Finally tonight I got some free time to work on the beer. I got some priming tablets and was going to open each bottle (used 24ozers so it was not as many as 12oz), drop a few tablets in, cap and wait again.
Well, I grab the first bottle, crack her open and Im greeted with a healthy "fffzzzttt!" huh? Grab a glass and pour, and get a small 1/4 inch head with plenty of bubbles supplying it!
Not sure what happened, but I guess the extra few weeks allowed just enough sugar to be used to carbonate it! Not only that, the flavor greatly improved. Overall, one damn tasty beer!
As the carbonation was still on the low side, I decided Id drop 1 tablet in, bottle it and see what would happen. Well I dropped the tablet in and the bottle erupted as the next Old Faithful. Tablet cleaned off, bottles back in the cases, unopened... I am now enjoying this delicious home brew!
Just thought Id share my story.
The "Hops Shortage" is the gods way of punishing us for not making our beers bitter enough.
Primary #1: British Brown
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Keg #1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Hoppy Red