Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wow it tastes good!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
glenlivet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wow it tastes good!

Hey all,

About a week ago i brewed my first ale. It was a late night event (finished around 1:30am)! As a result I took my OG from my 2 gallons of wort rather than after mixing it with the three gallons of water in the fermenter. I was able to estimate it to be about 1.045, does that sound about right? Anyway, last night I took my first FG reading and was surprised at how clear the beer looked already. I got a hydro reading of 1.010. What really impressed me though was how good it tasted even before dry hopping and carbonation. I cant wait to get this in a bottle! I'll take another FG reading in a day or two and if all is well rack this weekend and in a week or two dry hop then bottle a few days later.

I got a lot of help from users on here and reading posts. I'm not done yet but thanks for all the knowledge.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2934 Posts
Likes Given: 149

dry hop for more than a few days. I've only DH'd once but left them there for a full week and I could have gone for more.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
viking999
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I'm going to guess you're making a pale ale since you're dry hopping. In that case, 1.045 sounds good.

On my first batch, I took the OG from the concentrated wort before adding it to the water. Unfortunately, I didn't do that on purpose, and I thought I had a super high gravity beer until I had an epiphany two weeks later.

--------------------

Primary: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH

Bottle: Deizbeutzervet Dunkelweizen
Keg: Independence Day Strawberry Blonde
Keg: Munich/Mt. Hood SMaSH

Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
glenlivet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking999 View Post
On my first batch, I took the OG from the concentrated wort before adding it to the water. Unfortunately, I didn't do that on purpose, and I thought I had a super high gravity beer until I had an epiphany two weeks later.
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened with me. I woke up the next morni g and it hit me!

Sorry, yes it is a pale ale.

Maybe I'll rack as soon as my FG stabilizes and dry hop longer then. Thanks for the input.