15 Gallon corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ate-star

Reaction score
Does anyone use 15 Gallon cornie keg as kettle to boil wort?

I am looking for a 15 gallon keg as kettle. But, I only can find some 15G cornie keg. They are 12inches diameter and taller than Sankes of the same volume.

Just would like to know if they are OK as kettle.

Thanks,

Seems like a 15 gal corny would be worth a pretty penny compared to a normal sanke keg. I'd hate to cut the top off of a valuable keg.

I know 10 gal cornies go for upwards near $200+ used, but i don't think i'v ever seen a 15 gal corny.

Neither have I... I believe you are talking about a 1/2bbl Sanke Keg... I have never seen a 15 gallon Cornelius keg.

Neither have I... I believe you are talking about a 1/2bbl Sanke Keg... I have never seen a 15 gallon Cornelius keg.

They do make them. Sabco had some for sale a little while ago. They were $450.00. I would gladly trade you a sanke with the top cut out for a 15 gallon corny.

Seems like a 15 gal corny would be worth a pretty penny compared to a normal sanke keg. I'd hate to cut the top off of a valuable keg.

I know 10 gal cornies go for upwards near $200+ used, but i don't think i'v ever seen a 15 gal corny.

I have 8 of them. if you want one, please let me know. :mug:
they also have a third ball lock welded onto the removable lid.
they were are used by BYO places.
PM me if interested.
I'll take some pictures because they are hard to find on the web.
I'm in Ottawa and was offering one to Dong. I advised against making one a brew kettle. mostly because they are 12inch diameter same as the 10gal cornie but 1/3rd taller.

I have 8 of them. if you want one, please let me know. :mug:
they also have a third ball lock welded onto the removable lid.
they were are used by BYO places.
PM me if interested.
I'll take some pictures because they are hard to find on the web.
I'm in Ottawa and was offering one to Dong. I advised against making one a brew kettle. mostly because they are 12inch diameter same as the 10gal cornie but 1/3rd taller.

PM sent, I'd be interested.

Oh I'm interested but they won't fit in anything I have. Hhmmmm, perhaps now would be a good time to try and convince SWMBO that it's time to get that stand up freezer I've been wanting? (Note to self - must broach subject ever so lightly.)

the third one is used for a carbonator pump setup. I'm not entirely sure how.

I'll check into shipping. BTW that price would have a standard lid. not the third post lid.

I would not like to try and move one of those bad boys when it was full. I'm gonna guess they go about 200 lbs when full. I think it would punch a hole right through the plastic floor of my fridge! Don't think it would fit in my freezer at all. Maybe laying on its side.

That would make an awesome fermenter for 10 gallon batches. Ferment and crash cool in my freezer, and transfer under Co2 pressure to serving kegs...right from the freezer. Hmmnn....

15 gallons of water is 120lbs. I doubt the keg weighs 60!

Actually 15 gallons = 125.1 lbs. You are probably right though; maybe only about 40 lbs for the empty keg, so more like 165 total. Even that may be a little high. Still more than I would want to lift even if I could.

A few guys here use these for fermenters. and yeah, they are great for transferring under co2 pressure. unscrew the pressure relief and push in an airlock.

they are only about 20pounds empty.
they hold 58 liters which = 58 kilograms = 127.8 pounds of fluid.

I'm afraid shipping from my place would be a killer.
could one of you guys in the US check to see how much shipping would be for a box
12" x 12" x 36" ~22 pounds
if I get enough interest, I'll drive them to Ogdensburg NY (~2hour drive) and ship them from there.

Ogdensburg is 13669, for those looking to calculate shipping cost.

UPS ground to SoCal would be about $39, with a declared (insured) value of $150.

thats reasonable rates.
actually from canada to new york is $38
canada to California is $59 this is about as far as you can get from where I am.
so its not that much more really.

edit Indiana = $42
from canada to the US it goes by state. not zipcode. anywhere within the state is the same price.

I live in Winnipeg I'd be interested PM me and let me know if you still have one your mail box is full.

A few guys here use these for fermenters. and yeah, they are great for transferring under co2 pressure. unscrew the pressure relief and push in an airlock.

they are only about 20pounds empty.
they hold 58 liters which = 58 kilograms = 127.8 pounds of fluid.

If we're getting that nitpicky, since we have beer in them and beer weighs more than water...

I guess nobody really wants one?

I think plenty of people do, or at least they did. Don't know if you received any e-mails, but if you are still selling contact the people who expressed interest in the thread.

yeah, I got lots of interest but no-one seems to follow through.
I'll try contacting them again but won't hold my breath.

Thanks for sending me a PM. Unfortunately I'm not in the market, but I'd like to see you sell them.

If you were local I would grab one from you. It's not the cost of shipping.. . nothing personal but people will and have screwed me for $5.00 and it's just not worth the hassle and disgust of dealing with what goes on. There is basically no way to guarantee performance.

Back