Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Too much O2??

Old 07-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
wulax25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much O2??

I racked my first ever brew from the primary to the secondary this weekend. Besides sucking up a little too much trub (about an 1" or now settled on bottom of carboy), I think I may have left the racking tube a little too high while my beer flowed into the carboy.

So here's my question: Is it likely that I overexposed the beer to oxygen? How will I know? There also seems to only be about 4 gallons, so I am worried about headspace. I did have trouble keeping my stopper on because it wanted to push out, so I am hoping that means there is enough CO2 over the beer.

Any advice is much appreciated . . . .

Old 07-31-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Trappist Artist
Recipes 

I don't think that the air space in the secondary should be a big deal. Some yeast may still be active enough to give a covering of C02. In the words of Charlie P. Don't worry.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
BeanPot Brewery
Recipes 

You should be fine. If you're concerned about it, you can always boil some water, let it cool and top off the secondary...of course, this will slightly dilute your wonderful brew, but it will eliminate the airspace worries and likely give you a few more beers, which is never a bad thing.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts

I would not top off. Even if there is not more fermentation occurring, producing CO2, which there probably will be, the act of transferring will most likely cause some of the CO2 that is already in solution to come out and purge the air from the head space. You will be just fine.

John

Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you have an slight oxidized taste, just tell friends it's brewed in the "traditional" pub-style pulled ale!

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*