Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG brew day

Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default First AG brew day

Yesterday was my first all grain brew day, and let me tell you it was a long day. I have been in the process of removing the tops off of a couple of kegs, and I had to wait for almost a week to get a step bit. The step bit was 3/4 instead of 7/8 and it proved to be too tall a task to complete.

I finished with the 3/4 step bit and thought I will just round out the hole a little. We are only talking about 1/16 on each side. Well after cross treading the hex nut I had to abandon using one keg and brought out the keg with only the top cut off. I had to use a converted coleman cooler with a SS braid. I ended with a stuck sparge, but with some transferring and some cleaning I did end with a little over 6 gallons after sparging.

I ended the day with about 4 1/2 gallons of wort and after pitching the yeast it was fermenting in less than an hour.

I know now that I will not brew again until I get all of the equipment modified. That means I need to locate a false bottom and a couple of other things. Hopefully in 2 months I will be enjoying a delicious brew.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
bendavanza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow there was a lot of crazy brewing on "homebrew day" and many odd things happened.