Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Aging Saaz for Lambic

Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
thataintchicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1287 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Aging Saaz for Lambic

The LHBS has a ton of Saaz he ordered that no one seems to want to purchase. It seems I am the only one that buys them regularly.

I was thinking, if I picked them up at a cut rate price -- Should I age them for Lambic.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got some unintentionally aged saaz hops that tasted like cheese and meat at first. Now they taste delicious and flowery, if a very tiny bit soapy. This is in a steam beer, very tasty.

I'd say just go for it.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Aspera
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I grind my oldest hop pellets to a fine powder, spread the powder thinly over a large, flat wooden cutting board and then place the cutting board in a warmed but "off" oven for 15 or 20 minutes. The powder then goes in a very thin plastic ziplock bags for indefinite storage until use. Saaz is my preferred hop for this as I buy it in bulk and always have leftovers. Some say that only aged leaf hops are to be used, but I have had good luck with this process.