Coopers Wheat Beer Kit OG? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coopers Wheat Beer Kit OG?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Beer Snob
 
Beer Snob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Farmington
Posts: 2,041
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Another thing that they say works is a spray of water. I usually just take the pot off the stove for a moment.

I do not know of one type that is more prone to boil overs then another. I think they all are prone.
__________________
Michael

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:48 AM   #12
BrewProject
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Texas
Posts: 602
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
Another thing that they say works is a spray of water. I usually just take the pot off the stove for a moment.

I do not know of one type that is more prone to boil overs then another. I think they all are prone.
ok, cool thanks for the info...

think i have decided to make this a Cherry Wheat beer by adding some extract to the secondary...
__________________
Primary 1:
Blue Moon Clone

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:55 AM   #13
Beer Snob
 
Beer Snob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Farmington
Posts: 2,041
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewProject
ok, cool thanks for the info...

think i have decided to make this a Cherry Wheat beer by adding some extract to the secondary...
That was my first "getting back into brewing" beer. Real easy. Get cherry puree from the wine making section. When you get to putting the beer in the secondary you need to rack it to a larger then 5 gallon carboy. Its going to go through a second fermentation. I did not know this and racked it to a 5 gallon. Had a big mess the next day. Just dump the whole can it... its already sterile. The first Cherry Wheat I tried a long time ago, I used that small extract bottle... did not like it... kinda tasted like cherry caugh syrup.
__________________
Michael

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:38 AM   #14
BrewProject
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Texas
Posts: 602
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
That was my first "getting back into brewing" beer. Real easy. Get cherry puree from the wine making section. When you get to putting the beer in the secondary you need to rack it to a larger then 5 gallon carboy. Its going to go through a second fermentation. I did not know this and racked it to a 5 gallon. Had a big mess the next day. Just dump the whole can it... its already sterile. The first Cherry Wheat I tried a long time ago, I used that small extract bottle... did not like it... kinda tasted like cherry caugh syrup.
hey thanks for that information. I will check into that cherry puree...

my secondary is 6.5 gallons, so I should be okay.

BTW, i just hung up some clothes in the closet and the the Wheat beer is fermenting already. About 1 bubble a minute.

Had no idea fermentation could start that quickly. one hour after pitching the yeast

btw, beersnob, i guess you didnt take an OG rating on this beer did ya?
__________________
Primary 1:
Blue Moon Clone

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
Beer Snob
 
Beer Snob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Farmington
Posts: 2,041
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Yup. Records say I started with 1.045. Problem is when you add the puree this will change as you are adding more fermentables.
__________________
Michael

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #16
BrewProject
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Texas
Posts: 602
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
Yup. Records say I started with 1.045. Problem is when you add the puree this will change as you are adding more fermentables.
cool, that was what i was looking for...

so without the puree, this beer was intended to be about 4 - 4.5% ABV ?

a couple more questions if you don't mind...

what do your records say about your FG?

is there anyway to compensate for the added puree? in otherwords what extra percentage of alcohol do you think it adds?
__________________
Primary 1:
Blue Moon Clone

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
jar
 
jar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Needham, MA
Posts: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewProject
This batch boiled over in the time it took me to write this original post. It went from NO BOIL to over the top in less than 3 mins... I watch my boil closely, give or take 2 or 3 mins. DAMN, guess I have to stay right on top of it...
If you're boiling in a small pot, you have to watch it continuously at least until the hot break subsides. I did my first batch in a small pot and had a boilover. I went out to walmart before doing my second batch yesterday, and bought a 22 qt stainless stockpot. I did a 3 gallon boil, and never came anywhere near a boilover. Also, I've learned that 3 gallons is probably the most I can boil on my kitchen stove.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #18
BrewProject
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Texas
Posts: 602
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jar
If you're boiling in a small pot, you have to watch it continuously at least until the hot break subsides. I did my first batch in a small pot and had a boilover. I went out to walmart before doing my second batch yesterday, and bought a 22 qt stainless stockpot. I did a 3 gallon boil, and never came anywhere near a boilover. Also, I've learned that 3 gallons is probably the most I can boil on my kitchen stove.
my pot is at least a 4 gallon pot. bought it a few years ago never realizing it would become my brew pot

btw, i just checked and my airlock is bubbling like crazy. like i said it started bubbling 1 hour after pitching my yeast and now it is steadily bubbling every 1/2 a second...
__________________
Primary 1:
Blue Moon Clone

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #19
tockeyhockey
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Posts: 71

the best way i've been able to avoid boil overs is to add my malts off the heat, then add a package of hops as soon as i am done stirring in the malt. once you put it back on the heat, the oils in the hops break the surface tension of the bubbles really quickly.

or you can use nose grease! just rub your finger on your nose where it meets your cheek, then stir that into the pot. not sure if it is sanitary, but it will help break up the bubbles. (i am just kidding about this)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #20
BrewProject
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Texas
Posts: 602
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tockeyhockey
the best way i've been able to avoid boil overs is to add my malts off the heat, then add a package of hops as soon as i am done stirring in the malt. once you put it back on the heat, the oils in the hops break the surface tension of the bubbles really quickly.

or you can use nose grease! just rub your finger on your nose where it meets your cheek, then stir that into the pot. not sure if it is sanitary, but it will help break up the bubbles. (i am just kidding about this)
well this is an all-in-one kit, but I will remember that for the future when I start a more advanced type of brewing...
__________________
Primary 1:
Blue Moon Clone

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
coopers lager kit cloudy beer mk1271 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 24 02-14-2011 01:51 AM
Coopers Beer Kits Mixed at 5 gal rangersjay99 Extract Brewing 5 05-11-2009 03:31 PM
Coopers Beer Kit SALE (20% OFF) TexasStu Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 03-20-2009 08:30 PM
What about Mr.Beer or Coopers bigmny4you Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 07-06-2008 06:19 PM
Coopers Ginger Beer 80/- Extract Brewing 36 09-28-2005 10:57 PM


Forum Jump