Free hops and plants!! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Free hops and plants!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Brewpatrol
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Sacramento
Posts: 96
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



I'm so stoked, the father in law went up to visit family in Oregon. Family members up there own a small vinyard and produce decent wine. Turns out they have a friend who has a hop farm down the road. Father in law told them I'm a homebrewer so they took him to go meet the hop grower friend. Ended up giving him packaged hops and 2 little plants for me. I picked them up yesterday. I got about 2 pounds of Cascades as well as a Cascade and Tettnang plant. Perfect early birthday gift. I have a tiny yard so I'll be container growing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
wedge421
 
wedge421's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 958
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Nice SCORE!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
GonzoIllini
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 38

did you get actual transplanted plants? or rhizomes from which you will grow your plants?

I would be very interested to hear how transplanted hops will grow in a different environment and soil composition. However, I guess that is not much different than harvesting rhizomes and planting them somewhere else.

Congrats on your score, I would love to have 2 lbs of Cascades.

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Brewpatrol
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Sacramento
Posts: 96
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoIllini View Post
did you get actual transplanted plants? or rhizomes from which you will grow your plants?

I would be very interested to hear how transplanted hops will grow in a different environment and soil composition. However, I guess that is not much different than harvesting rhizomes and planting them somewhere else.

Congrats on your score, I would love to have 2 lbs of Cascades.

Cheers!
They are already in small plastic pots and have bines a foot long or more. 2 bines out of each. I'll be transplanting them to 20" pots tomorrow and going with the adjustable trellis like that in last months BYO mag.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
ibrewdou
 
ibrewdou's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
lawrenceville ga.
Posts: 53

happy birthday, i found 20" platic totes with the fake fope handles at lowes for $7.ea. I drilled some holes in the bottom and they seem to work fine. I also found some HUGE plastic planters for 45$ at the depot. like what you'd put a tree in. they nust be 32" across the opening and at least 36" tall. I believe I'll transplant to those in a year or when they outgrow the current homes. Maybe split the rhizomes and start the new ones in the 20" pots. good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
GearBeer
 
GearBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Posts: 725
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Happy Birthday, dude, and congrats on that score!
__________________
Kyle

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Vic_Sinclair
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
SLC, Utah
Posts: 174
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


What in the...The title of this thread lead me to believe someone was GIVING away hops. Then I come in here to find that someone is relating a story about how THEY got free hops. Why not just title this thread "AH-HA I am going to make you all feel bad because I stumbled into good fortune and you did not"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,381
Liked 5016 Times on 3386 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Sinclair View Post
What in the...The title of this thread lead me to believe someone was GIVING away hops. Then I come in here to find that someone is relating a story about how THEY got free hops. Why not just title this thread "AH-HA I am going to make you all feel bad because I stumbled into good fortune and you did not"
Calm down, dude! Your IBUs are off the charts!

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by the thread title too, but come on, it's an honest mistake. No reason he purposely wanted to hurt our feelings.
__________________
Day after day, it reappears. Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear. Ghosts appear and fade away. Come back another day.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #9
Brewpatrol
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Sacramento
Posts: 96
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Calm down, dude! Your IBUs are off the charts!

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by the thread title too, but come on, it's an honest mistake. No reason he purposely wanted to hurt our feelings.
My bad fellas.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #10
Vic_Sinclair
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
SLC, Utah
Posts: 174
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'm just joking.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Hops - Free SCBrew For Sale 5 10-13-2009 12:15 PM
Growing Hops from Plants Spine Hops Growing 1 04-04-2009 04:39 PM
Questions about using 50+ yo Hops plants unknown variety BPD Hops Growing 4 09-21-2008 02:26 AM
Free in Las Vegas: 2 hop plants talleymonster Hops Growing 9 05-07-2008 01:04 AM
Hops Plants ian Recipes/Ingredients 8 07-26-2005 06:02 PM


Forum Jump