Hop Rant - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Hop Rant

Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

The Brewer's Fest yesterday was an odd one. I avoided the Wit & Belgians, just because I don't like the styles much and IPA's because good IPA's are $20 a case any day of the week.

But damn it! Do we need Reds that taste like IPA's, Farmerhouse ales that taste like IPA's, Pilsners that taste like IPA's, STOUTS that taste like IPA's? In each case, the hops completely overwhelmed the other flavors in the ales. If a company wants to make 3 or 4 IPA's fine. Bear Republic does exactly that: Racer 5, Racer X and Hop Rod Rye are all great beers. I would hate to think we face a future where are choices are BMC or IPA's of various colors.

Plus notes: Golden Valley's Organic Brown was well done, New Belgium Brewing's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale was great not a porter or a stout, but something I've never run across before. Redhook Ale's Sunrye Blonde had a strong citrus aroma which was quite refreshing, although the rye really didn't come through.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Yeah, I think some brewers go a little overboard on the hops on some, or most of their styles. If it's going to be super hoppy, fine but let us know ahead of time.

The Sunrye is good, but you're right about the rye flavor. It doesn't have any of that "spicyness" that you get from rye. I believe they use wheat to a good extent in that recipe as well. It's more of a grain medley than a rye beer.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-31-2006, 02:38 AM   #3
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 115 Times on 101 Posts

Where's the darn malt?!?! .

Overhopping IMO can mask a so-so beer to call it good for the hop heads. Is that what we got going on here in the US?

Old 07-31-2006, 02:41 AM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

I think so. A few weeks ago I had an American Hefeweizen that was bland except for the hops. It was the opposite of what I wanted, even from an American Hefe.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles