Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider) - Page 95 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider Recipes > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #941
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Omaha, NE
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck with the pumpkin and of course post your results. I'm sure many would be interested.

Cheers

Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #942
mattdev
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscoggin View Post
I have the same (but with crystal 120) fermenting away right now. What yeast did you use? I have the same OG so curious if I am going to end up in much the same place (safale-05).
I used Nottingham. We tried a bit of the undercarbonated stuff last night and it was quite delicious. I can't wait to see how it turns out after a few weeks.

Keg #1: Märzen
Keg #2: RyePA
Bottle: Cherry Oak Barley Wine, Passion Fruit Pale, Schwarzbier

Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #943
gratefullydeadicated
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Southwest

After loving my first batch even before it was 2 weeks old, I had to try pumpkin spice version a couple weeks ago.

I added 2 cans of pumpkin sprinkled with about 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice that I roasted in the oven for about an hour. I added this to my boil and followed the recipe accordingly. My OG was a little lower than my first batch for some reason....I was expecting the opposite.

When I sampled during transfer to the carboy last week, I didn't get much pumpkin or spices so I think I'm going to make a tea and add a little more spice., but I hear that most of these flavors come out during aging so I am going light.

I will bottle some time in the next couple weeks, so I will let you guys know how it turns out. Can't wait!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #944
IndyMatt
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Indianapolis

I just tasted it after two weeks in the carboy, it was VERY tart. It may just need to age in the bottles some? I used cider not juice and it is definitely not clear, more of a pumpkin looking orange color. I sanitize everything, I mean everything so I don't think it has gone bad.

OG was 1.60 and finished right at 1.00, I think I will add some splenda to sweeten.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #945
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Kemah, Texas
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Made my batch today. LHBS didn't have any torrified wheat, so I decided to go with regular red wheat. I also added 1oz of honey wheat. I also used 2lbs of dark DME instead of the light/dark mix. Waiting for it to cool down now so I can pitch the Notty. Smells very interesting. I can't wait to keg this and enjoy it!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #946
gratefullydeadicated
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I just tasted it after two weeks in the carboy, it was VERY tart. It may just need to age in the bottles some? I used cider not juice and it is definitely not clear, more of a pumpkin looking orange color. I sanitize everything, I mean everything so I don't think it has gone bad.

OG was 1.60 and finished right at 1.00, I think I will add some splenda to sweeten.
Keep faith alive, IndyMatt...I thought the same thing when I tasted my first batch at bottling time (FG 1.008). It was really sour and hazy, and got even worse when I tasted a bottle 4 days after bottling....VERY sour with no taste of apples anywhere. Let me tell you though...I have had a sample a week and just had another after 24 days in the bottle and WOW! This is getting better than almost any commercial cider I have tried. Almost all the sourness has disappeared, the apple flavor and sweetness has returned and it has cleared up perfectly!

I just brewed my second batch a couple weeks ago and thought I was going to prime it with AJ concentrate to bring out more sweetness and apple flavor, but after just tasting that last bottle, I am wondering if I should just do everything the same as I did the first time.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #947
IndyMatt
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Indianapolis

That is reassuring, I back sweetened with splenda so it will be on the sweeter side which is good for me. I will try another back as long as this turns out good and see how it goes without back sweetening. Of course mine was a lot lower FG than yours it was 1.00, I measured 4 times just to make sure it was a true reading.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #948
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Miller Place, NY (Long Island)
Liked 89 Times on 76 Posts

I brewed 5 gals in Aug. and had two bottles so far. Neither was to my liking. I think the problem is with what I'm drinking before (beer). I tried some this morning and it wasn't nearly as bad as last night. So after I get off work (and get home) I'll try some first. I'd hate to think I'd wasted 5 gals of Graff... pete

Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #949
klyph
Recipes 

Dec 2009
North Pole, Alaska
Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

Some people just plain don't like it. I like it, but my wife hates it. Everyone's different I guess.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #950
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2010
Miller Place, NY (Long Island)
Liked 89 Times on 76 Posts

Well, last night I had some Graff before I had any other beer. Not bad, but not impressive. I think I'd like a little more apple flavor. Since I have quite a few bottles in reserve, I'll continue my research. Time vs. taste.