Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #901
knotquiteawake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It took 4 days for fermentation to really take off, I only had a couple little bubbles after 72 hours, and it was only the following day that the airlock actually started moving and a small krausen started to develop. There are small hop leaf particles floating at the top from the pellets I used (some must have escaped the bag), the smell isn't overwhelming, just kinda a low level funk.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #902
wafflesnsegways
Recipes 

I'm about to make this, and I have a question.

I'm doing a small batch, so I'm leaving out the hops, and skipping the boil. My question is: since I'm not boiling it, would it make sense to heat up some apple juice to 150, and steep the grains in that? The juice won't be boiled. Or is that still too high of a temperature for apple juice?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #903
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't think you'll see any benefit to steeping the grains in apple juice.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #904
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesnsegways View Post
I'm about to make this, and I have a question.

I'm doing a small batch, so I'm leaving out the hops, and skipping the boil. My question is: since I'm not boiling it, would it make sense to heat up some apple juice to 150, and steep the grains in that? The juice won't be boiled. Or is that still too high of a temperature for apple juice?
I don't think I'd forgo the hops, they're a pretty integral part of the recipe. Also, if you don't boil, I'd say your risk of infection is a lot higher.

Fine to scale the recipe back to a gallon (why? It's so good!) but I don't think the changes your suggesting are a good idea. But, hey, just IMO, eh?
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #905
Valcarde
Recipes 

I have 5 gallons of this bubbling away in the basement currently. Set it up on Saturday (now Tuesday), got a good inch of kraus-... kreu-... kerri-... foam, and sniffing the airlock smells -fan-freaking-tastic-.

Can't wait to drink it!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #906
platypotamus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this one up last night. I somehow found myself with only 1lb 9oz of Amber DME! no worries, though - I had saved a good amount of second runnings wort from my Belgian IIPA I brewed over the weekend. Boiled some of that down, and then used it to sparge the grains. Came in at 1.058 OG. I used .5oz of Willamette hops that I had left over from a Porter that I brewed recently, and pitched a 1L starter of Wyeast 1332 NW Ale yeast.

Chilled the wort in an ice bath to about 80F, then let the chilled apple juice do the rest. It was already gluggin' away in the bucket when I checked in on it about 8 hours later.

very much looking forward to enjoying this brew in mid-October. cheers!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #907
petergriffen
Recipes 

About to do this for a second time. Any ideas for something different to do? 1 gal of a dif juice? Thought I'd switch it up even though it tasted great

Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #908
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the next time I do this, I'll try darker and/or more malts to make it a bit sweeter.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #909
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm the type where I like to drink my beers during the process of making, at bottling time and during the 2 to 3 weeks of bottle conditioning.

Needless to say I've done the same thing with the Graff. After two weeks it's carbinated great.....but I must say I'm underwhelmed by the taste. It's not that its bad...it's just that so far I'm not saying, "Wow...I gotta have another one of those". Should I really expect much more change in taste in the following weeks???

Cheers.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #910
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Dude, beers never taste good green. Hell, they often taste rather nasty. This is why many recipes tell you to secondary for extended periods or age in the carboy. This graff is a prime example. It becomes a completely different beverage after a 3 week keg age. Shi'ite, almost every beer I've made tastes better after a 3 week keg age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside