Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Old 06-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #2251
Safa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffMongoloid
This made my bathroom smell like farts
.... Um, I don't think that was the graff

Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #2252
dapete
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffMongoloid View Post
This made my bathroom smell like farts
I had this issue at the start of fermentation but adding yeast nutrients and energizer solved it right away.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #2253
hunter_la5
McLandlord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2957 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 5788

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5
Just put a batch of this into my fermentation chamber. OG 1.055. Can't wait to try the finished product!
Kegged it today. FInished at 1.007, 6.3% abv. The sample I tasted was absolutely delicious, which was surprising for only 2 weeks old. I can't wait to try it after it has carbed up. I was originally planning on aging it for at least 3 weeks before tapping, but now I think I'll go ahead and serve it at a shindig I'm hosting next weekend.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #2254
hbrookie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Ack! I just bottled mine. I hope it ages well. Mine tasted like I was sucking on a vitamin C pill. Followed original instructions and quantities. FG 1.005.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #2255
CHUM_
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My FG is still dropping after 2 weeks (OG 1.060 down to 1.008).....tastes surprisingly good out of the hydrometer.

* mine was mixed with 1 gallon Belgian Wit +yeast and 1 gallon 2lb mix of DME) *

Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #2256
TaylorBrewed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can someone please help me. I want to make this weekend. My question with out going through the 2000+ post is this. What type of Apple juice do you use ? 100% of course but most Apple juice say this but has some sort of additive or vitamin. Anything I should look out for. Also what type of results have you had with just Apple juice opposed to cider ? Thanks

Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #2257
hunter_la5
McLandlord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2957 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 5788

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorBrewed View Post
Can someone please help me. I want to make this weekend. My question with out going through the 2000+ post is this. What type of Apple juice do you use ? 100% of course but most Apple juice say this but has some sort of additive or vitamin. Anything I should look out for. Also what type of results have you had with just Apple juice opposed to cider ? Thanks
When using store bought juice, just make sure it's:
1) 100% juice (no added sugar/flavors)
2) no preservatives

Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is okay, but if there's anything else, I would stay away. From concentrate is also okay. I use juice from a bottle, but frozen concentrate can work nicely too.

For example, all the stuff I use for ciders (Tree Top, Motts, etc) lists the ingredients as "100% apple juice from concentrate: water, apple juice concentrate, ascorbic acid" or something similar.

I tried using store-bought, additive-free, pasteurized cider a couple times (not directly from an orchard), but I was never happy with the results. I don't know if that was because the cider was not "fresh" (likely had been sitting on the shelf for some time), or if it was just the brands I tried.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #2258
hbrookie
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorBrewed View Post
I use Motts for my ciders. It starts out a bit tart, but age it for 2 weeks after its done fermenting and it makes a good cider. Also, If you're a Costco member, the Kirkland brand doesn't have any preservatives either.

Just makes sure that there's not added sorbates or "vitamin C added". The sorbates will prevent fermentation (or at least slow it down to the point where it may as well not be fermenting) and extra vitamin C will make is really sour. If you go with unfiltered juice, don't forget the pectolase. That helps it clear so that it looks as delicious as it tastes.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #2259
ender416
Recipes 

just opened a bottle today - bottled on 5-16-13 ; Brandon O u r a genius
SO GOOD - when I poured it had a thick head now its leaving nice lace on the glass. Gonna have to make this again next cause its flying off my closet shelf. I might add a little more hops next time, also might go half motts instead of 100% whole foods fresh pressed to cut cost - maybe add some brown sugar or maple syrup? idk
took some to the restaurant for my coworkers to try and the head chef snuck a taste and demanded a bottle
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	129647  

Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #2260
TaylorBrewed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Can't wait to make this weekend