Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #2021
BBQB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krrazy
I'm hoping this improves with age...it's not matching my expectations on the flavor I imagined! Very cloudy and tart even with a crash cool. If I do this again I'll go with a darker version and try a different yeast. Used Safale-05 and it fermented like crazy filling up the blow-off tube but I think I'd prefer more malt character as this currently tastes a lot like cloudy apfelwein. I used 4g of the fresh pressed cider from Sprouts--it was cloudy to start with so I'm wondering if the apple solids hang around with a fresh cider vs. a filtered apple juice. We'll see! Luckily I have four kegs of various brews to keep me occupied!
IM in the same boat. I'm thinking I should have used filtered juice. I doubt this will clear up

Old 02-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #2022
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

From what I'm seeing, if you use fresh pressed from an orchard or if you are using a store brand with solids in it, its probably not going to clear. After my experience with straight hard cider, I think pectic enzyme will be your friend if you want your graff clear.

I'm reading conflicting info about pectic enzyme... some say it only works pre-ferment because the alcohol will disrupt its function. Others are saying its fine after primary fermentation is complete.

Anyone have some actual experience with this stuff? I'll probably go dig around in the cider and wine sections and see what I can find.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #2023
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 50

What's the shelf life like on this recipe? I want to make a 2 gallon batch sometime soon inside on my stovetop to have ready for the spring summer months. But I don't want it to be past its prime by then, so I could always wait. Thanks

Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #2024
hopmonster2189
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37
What's the shelf life like on this recipe? I want to make a 2 gallon batch sometime soon inside on my stovetop to have ready for the spring summer months. But I don't want it to be past its prime by then, so I could always wait. Thanks
Everybody's been sayin it's awesome after six months to a year. And id bet it would only improve after that as well.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #2025
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
I think it is MUCH better aged. I just made six gallons, with the intent of drinking it in the summer. It just finished primary, and I am now bulk aging it in my cellar until at least June.
Sippin37 Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #2026
AcRocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcRocket View Post
Just made my first batch of this stuff last night. Tried to stay as close to the original recipe as possible.
.5 lb of Crystal 60L
1 lb Amber DME
1 lb Light DME
1 oz Torrified Wheet
.05 oz Cascade hops 5.00% AA
used Nottingham Yeast
4 gallons of Musselman's Apple Cider

Cooled the wort down to 75 F, poured the cider and pitched the yeast at 68 F. OG was 1.061.

I pitched the yeast at 11pm last night.

Checked the airlock this morning at 730am. Nothing. Hopefully i didnt do anything wrong and it just takes awhile for it to get going.
After 5 days of fermenting, and no more action in the airlock, i decided to take a look into the fermenter and take a hydrometer reading. It was 1.004. That was pretty quick. Im going to let it sit another few days and see if FG changes at all. It's a nice golden color. Since i used unfilter apple juice, or apple cider, i doubt it will clear up a lot.

The taste was tart, didnt really have any apple flavor at all, and was was completely flat. Looking forward to the end product.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130211_175131.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	100477   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130211_175124.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	100478  
Primary #1- Scottish 80 Schilling
Primary #2 - Dave's Carmel Apple Cider
Bottled -BrandonO Graff,PDG Pale Ale
Next in line -Newell's Groundhog Cider

Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #2027
fumanchu
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I'm going to be making a cider soon, but I've been trying to decide which apple juice to get. PC organics apple juice looks good but it's from concentrate with filtered water. Allen's and Rougemont is always tasty though, and not from concentrate.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #2028
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu View Post
I'm going to be making a cider soon, but I've been trying to decide which apple juice to get. PC organics apple juice looks good but it's from concentrate with filtered water. Allen's and Rougemont is always tasty though, and not from concentrate.
Got a Costco? Kirkland is not from concentrate, nothing added, $8.50 for 2 gallons at my store.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #2029
Jas53
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
This improves with age - not that great immediately but 9 to 12 months later was excellent!!
Sippin37 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #2030
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 197

I just kegged mine on Sunday. Set the PSI to 10 and pulled my first one last night.

Quite tart up front but the finish is bright and complex. Very nice. I will enjoy it very much. The tartness will scare some away. I'm going to brew another batch soon and let it sit until late spring.

Mine might be a bit light/watery. I think I'd like a little more maltiness, but apple is fine. The grain bill might get bumped slightly (7oz amber, 5oz crystal). I didn't notice the hops but will wait to judge until I get more in my gullet. I might bump that to 1/3 oz.

The Carapils did a nice job for a nice little head.

I have 2.5 gallon corny kegs so I did a half batch:

1/2 gallon of beer:
  • 4 oz Crystal 90L
  • 1/2 oz Carapils
  • 6 oz Amber DME
  • 6 oz Light DME
  • 1/4 oz Cascade hops

2 gallon Indian Summer cider

whole pack of rehydrated Notty

(Pectic Enzyme & Yeast Nutrients)

EDIT: THANKS BRANDON!!!