Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Old 10-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #1801
OcularTrauma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

12 days in primary and this is looking like its almost done, but its nowhere near clear. How long does this stuff usually take to clear out? I've been spoiled by the whirlfloc in my AG batches

Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #1802
mrmedic
Recipes 

Likes Given: 18

Okay I have been reading for weeks now and decided to give this a try. Everything for the most part is per recipe but I used 2lbs Amber DME and 2oz of the wheat. Also before the boil I decided to simmer, .25gal water added one cinnamon stick, 1/4tsp cloves, all spice and fresh ground nutmeg, 1/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/4 cup buckwheat honey. Once this was done I did everything per recipe. I cooled the wort with my chiller and topped it off with fresh pressed cider from an orchard in San Bernardino CA. I used Nottingham yeast that was re hydrated and shook the hell out of the carboy. I have it in my mini fridge set @ 62-65 degrees and its bubbling like crazy. My OG reading was 1.60 i cant wait to taste this, every time i open my mini fridge its an amazing apple aroma! Oh my hops used were Kent Goldings.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #1803
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

After 3 weeks in the primary I secondaried the Graff, but it's still very cloudy. I will keep any eye on it and let you know when it clears, hopefully soon!

FWIW, I cooled my wort to 80 before adding it to the juice in the primary. I didn't use pectic enzyme though but I did use Irish moss in the boil. Hoping it clears as I want to bottle and carbonate to have it ready for thanksgiving.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #1804
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

Yeah, I had the cider in the fridge before I added it to the carboy and I put my brewpot in a cold water bath in the sink until it was down to about 120F~140F-ish. No whirlfloc or irish moss, but I did use some pectic enzyme. I did move my graff to a slightly warmer closet (62F up to 68F) and the 1056 got active again, so no hope of it settling for at least another couple of days/weeks. Guess I'll just wait some more!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #1805
scorpionc53
Recipes 

OK, I've sifted through sections of this 181 page forum and came up with a few questions that don't seem to be answered clearly for me yet. Here they are. Simple short answers work!
1. Do I prime the bottles and if so, how much and what kinda sugar works best?
2. Do I use something like Mott's apple juice or a store bought apple cider like you'd find at walmart? Not necessarily the imitation cider, but the actual apple cider you find in the deli section?

Can't wait to brew this up!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #1806
Strongbad52
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just made this with the leftover wort from a pumpkin ale. The ale was modeled after a Southern Tier Pumpking and I used fresh pressed cider from a local orchard. Can't wait to see how it turns out since it's the first time in 4 batches that I haven't used Motts

Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #1807
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionc53 View Post
OK, I've sifted through sections of this 181 page forum and came up with a few questions that don't seem to be answered clearly for me yet. Here they are. Simple short answers work!
1. Do I prime the bottles and if so, how much and what kinda sugar works best?
2. Do I use something like Mott's apple juice or a store bought apple cider like you'd find at walmart? Not necessarily the imitation cider, but the actual apple cider you find in the deli section?

Can't wait to brew this up!!!!!!!
I primed this like I would any other beer. All the same rules should apply.

I've done it with both store bought apple juice and fresh cider. If you're gonna use cider make sure it doesn't have potassium sorbate added. Most of the ciders I found at supermarkets had this stuff in it so I ended up having to get fresh cider from a local orchard through my LHBS.

For store bought juice, you want something where the only ingredient is apple juice (ascorbic acid / vitamin C is ok too). The last batch I made I used Mott's "Natural" and it turned out pretty well.

Secondary:
Kegged: Nothing :(
Bottled: Blonde Lambic (Aug 2012), Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #1808
Paquitin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Fist batch of Graff. Almost gone in less tag a week. Second batch it's on the way. This time added 1 oz of Fuggel hops. The woodsy, citrusy flavor should pair well with with the apple cider. This stuff is out of this world.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3410544850.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	79810   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2015176498.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	79811  

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #1809
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

How old was it in that picture?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #1810
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

@paquitin that looks awesome!

I just brewer the Austin Homebrew "Apple Peeler" kit. Based on the comments in this thread, I am really excited to try it. It has been in the fermenter since 10/13. My kit used about a half lb of honey malt, 3 lbs of extra pale LME and 3 gallons of AJ. Also used an oz of bittering hops. Can't wait to keg it!