Exploring "no chill" brewing - Page 14 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #131
brrman
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Indianapolis, IN, Indiana
Posts: 1,693
Liked 97 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I no chilled another beer yesterday, actually I sold off my IC yeterday too!

I had a guest over from HBT for a brew session yesterday, who could not believe that I was not chilling my beer. So I pointed him at the tap on my kegerator where my No Chill Haus Ale was, he loved it. He mentioned how CLEAN it tasted... seriously, no chilling works.

I converted at least one person to brewing on an electric HERMS yesterday and possibly two people to no chill brewing.

Brew On!

yes yes - that was me!

I had never even heard of the "no-chill" method. How I have missed those threads is beyond me. I tasted Pol's Haus Pale Ale that was no-chilled and it was great. And it was very clean tasting - an excellent IPA if you ask me.

I have ordered my coolers, Pol! LOL
__________________
8-Paws Brewing Co.
Tap 1:.Nostromo Full Thruster Simcoe Pale (10g)
Tap 2:.
Primary:.Lodovico's Fresh Squeezed IPA (10g)
Primary:.Mudpuddle Oatmeal Stout (10g)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #132
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Saccharomyces's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Posts: 5,447
Liked 115 Times on 69 Posts


All beers were once no-chill, coolships were used to cool the wort overnight before it was moved to open fermenters and inocculated with yeast...
__________________
[How to Calculate Mash Efficiency | Do I Need a Yeast Starter? | My Ghetto Fermentation Chamber | Twitter | 6 Gal. HDPE Fermenters | Slanting Yeast | No Sparge Brewing]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #133
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
yes yes - that was me!

I had never even heard of the "no-chill" method. How I have missed those threads is beyond me. I tasted Pol's Haus Pale Ale that was no-chilled and it was great. And it was very clean tasting - an excellent IPA if you ask me.

I have ordered my coolers, Pol! LOL
Where did you order them from? Ace? Uh oh... now you are starting down a long and winding path my friend.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #134
Dionysos911
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 134
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
Ok I was thinking that was the case. I guess a hose (proper temp. requirements) fitted to the end of my funnel with a careful pour will do the trick.


And do you squeze the air out of the cube before completely sealing the container? I thought I read that somewhere.
I am curious if you got a chance to try this out and what exactly you used. I like the idea of no chill but not sure hour I am going to transfer from my pot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #135
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Adamjab hasnt yet, but I have a cpl no chills under my belt

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #136
adamjab19
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Berkley, MI
Posts: 491
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


I just started school and I wont be brewing for at least three weeks. I'll get back to this when I do try it.
__________________
Element Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #137
thataintchicken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
thataintchicken's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lewiston, ID
Posts: 8,544
Liked 1368 Times on 1337 Posts


I am really intrigued by the no chill technique.

If I could spread a brew day out -- into a brew session then a small pitching yeast session, then I could actually do more brewing with my work schedule.

Using the chilling vessel as a fermentor seems to simplify the process further.

need to hit the supply company website from work to see if I can find those vessels cheaper that US plastics. If I can, I'll let you know.

The HERMS is a long way out for me. With SWMBO being unemployed for two months now, every penny is sacred.
__________________
Subtle is too confusing. Subtle only has it's place for aroma, flavor, and insult. Anyplace else, you lose. -GilaMinumBeer

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #138
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
I am really intrigued by the no chill technique.

If I could spread a brew day out -- into a brew session then a small pitching yeast session, then I could actually do more brewing with my work schedule.

Using the chilling vessel as a fermentor seems to simplify the process further.

need to hit the supply company website from work to see if I can find those vessels cheaper that US plastics. If I can, I'll let you know.

The HERMS is a long way out for me. With SWMBO being unemployed for two months now, every penny is sacred.
The no chill method really is cool. The 6 gallon container, when it is pitched into in about 24 hours, works really well. The HERMS is cool yah, but isnt necessary for GREAT beer, it just makes it repeatable by taking out variables.

I had a couple HBT guys over this past weekend that drank my no chill stuff and they really enjoyed it. I am excited to get some people here tasting it and getting more people interested in it!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #139
McKBrew
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,204
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
The no chill method really is cool. The 6 gallon container, when it is pitched into in about 24 hours, works really well. The HERMS is cool yah, but isnt necessary for GREAT beer, it just makes it repeatable by taking out variables.

I had a couple HBT guys over this past weekend that drank my no chill stuff and they really enjoyed it. I am excited to get some people here tasting it and getting more people interested in it!
Make sure you mark it well for the next time I come over
__________________
Make Beer, Not War.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #140
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Make sure you mark it well for the next time I come over
You are welcome any time... I have my Haus Ale on tap and will have a SNPA clone on tap in about 4 weeks!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"American" or "Imperial" Oatmeal Stout Recipe: Critiques please! cladinshadows Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-23-2015 11:14 PM
Small Scale Commerical Brewing (600gal/mo) on "Beer Budget" GuateBrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 11-02-2010 12:46 PM
NPR Fans: "The Science of Brewing" on Talk of the Nation tomorrow 2-3pm EDT tmoney1224 General Beer Discussion 37 05-21-2008 12:06 AM
Miller "Chill" casper0074 General Beer Discussion 5 09-30-2007 05:16 PM


Forum Jump