Double IPA Midwest hophead double ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
us05
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
n/a
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
n/a
Color
n/a
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
n/a
i made this about a year ago as my first ipa kit, and it came out excellent. this one improves with some age also

Extract version
5 gallon batch 1.070-1.074 SG
9.3 pounds of Light LME (unhopped)
12 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory
4 oz Aromatic
1 oz Chinook (60)
1/2 oz Centennial (45)
1/2 oz Cascade (30)
1/2 oz Centennial (20)
1/2 oz Cascade (10)
1 oz Crystal (5)
2 oz Cascade leaf - dry hop for 3-10 days (I prefer 10)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale is my preference but you can use White Labs equivalent WLP001 or the dry, Safale 05.

Steep the crushed grains for 20-30 mins at 154*F in 1 gallon of water.

All-Grain Version (based on a 69% efficiency)
5 gallon batch 1.070-1.074 SG
14 lbs 2-row
12 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory
4 oz Aromatic
Hop schedule is the same as extract version.
Yeast same as extract version.
Mash crushed grains at 150-152*F for 60 mins. Use a ratio of 1-1.5 quart(s) water per pound of grain for mash. Sparge with 170* water til you yield enough water for your boil. Plan on 1/2 gallon sparge water per pound. Try to retrieve 6.5 gallons of wort.

I just brewed this and was wondering why you want to end up with 6.5 gallons of wort? You don't boil 1.5 gallons off in an hour. I wasn't able to fit it all in my Carboy. Why does Midwest recommend using so much water?

The 6.5 gallons is "pre-boil", not post. If you start a 60 minute boil with 6.5 gallons, you should end up with around 5 gallons +or - at the end.

Sorry, I'm just new. So spathe water shouldn't be a hard number? It says 0.5 gallons per pound of Grain. In the recipe, it calls for just under 15 pounds. My math says that's about 7.5 gallons already plus the 4 gallons in the mash. I just want to know if I should cut back on the sparge water next time and not follow the directions so liberally. How do I know what preboil volume I need to achieve with different beers if the directions are flawed?

Back