Bourbon Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just did a barelywine that I wanted to have resemble that bourbon barrel aged flavor. I soaded 1 oz. oak chips in borbon and let them sit 2 weeks with the dry hop and then added to taste at bottling. Unfortunately, I think I may have overdone it a littel bit. Anyone who has done this know how much this will mellow with age? It will be 6 mo. to 1+ years before these are cracked, I just hope all that malt and hop character thats in there will still be the MOST prominent. They are as of now, but the bourbon is definately there on the tounge.

I'm sure its a RDWHAHB situatation, but I think the HB is what got me here in the first place (softened the palate a bit I think)

Matt

My bourbon porter end up like like that. It's mellowing okay, the bourbon flavors have blended in well. Don't worry about it. Don't tell people there's bourbon there and say it's a yeast by product, they'll be impressed.

Back