Imperial Choc Stout - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Choc Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
bubbachunk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Recipe Type: Extract   
Yeast: Safbrew S-33   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5   
Original Gravity: 1.096   
Final Gravity: 1.024   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Color: Black   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7-10 days   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days   
Tasting Notes: Will add when I crack one open tonight   

9# LME
2# Crystal 120
2# English Chocolate
1.5# American Black Patent
1.5oz Kent gold @ 60 min
1.5oz Kent gold @ 30 min
16 oz coco @ 15 min

The gravities are estimated using beer calculus since I forgot to take an initial when I brewed this. This is by far my favorite beer that I have made thus far and plan to brew it again with some tweaking.

Let me know if you have any questions.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
bubbachunk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts




Malty but as sweet of the gravity may imply. The chocolate is not overpowering and is most evident in the finish. Head retention is lacking due to the coco powder but that is made up for in flavor.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Tim27
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
SA, Texas
Posts: 165
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quick questions. Did you use light or dark extract? What type/brand of cocoa did you use? Will regular chocolate malt suffice for the English Chocolate?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
bubbachunk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim27 View Post
Quick questions. Did you use light or dark extract? What type/brand of cocoa did you use? Will regular chocolate malt suffice for the English Chocolate?
Light. Ghirardelli (although something fat free may work better for head retention). Should be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
HossBeer
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Romeoville, IL
Posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
9# LME
2# Crystal 120
2# English Chocolate
1.5# American Black Patent
1.5oz Kent gold @ 60 min
1.5oz Kent gold @ 30 min
16 oz coco @ 15 min

The gravities are estimated using beer calculus since I forgot to take an initial when I brewed this. This is by far my favorite beer that I have made thus far and plan to brew it again with some tweaking.

Let me know if you have any questions.
I only got 2 brews under my belt thus far, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is this asking for 9 pounds of light LME, 2 pounds of crystal 120, and 2 pounds of english chocolate? That seems like a lot of ingredients. How long did you steep the grains? I think I'm gonna try to make this one next.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
bubbachunk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HossBeer View Post
I only got 2 brews under my belt thus far, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is this asking for 9 pounds of light LME, 2 pounds of crystal 120, and 2 pounds of english chocolate? That seems like a lot of ingredients. How long did you steep the grains? I think I'm gonna try to make this one next.
Yes, you could probably cut it down a little bit. It was a very big beer and perhaps a bit to heavy on the roasted malts but the vanilla helped mellow it out.

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
HossBeer
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Romeoville, IL
Posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
Yes, you could probably cut it down a little bit. It was a very big beer and perhaps a bit to heavy on the roasted malts but the vanilla helped mellow it out.

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes.
Also, what kind of yeast?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
HossBeer
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Romeoville, IL
Posts: 6

NM I'm an idiot and didn't re read original post

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
nateand
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2

What about the vanilla? I couldn't find it in the recipe. Did you just crack a vanilla bean in the secondary?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
bubbachunk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Cincinnati
Posts: 645
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nateand View Post
What about the vanilla? I couldn't find it in the recipe. Did you just crack a vanilla bean in the secondary?
Sorry about that omission. 2 beans split and scraped in secondary for 1 month. Beans were ~4 inches long Tahitian



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggest me a good choc stout recipe BeantownR6 Recipes/Ingredients 5 04-16-2010 01:14 AM
AHS Double Choc Stout?? GweedoeBrew Recipes/Ingredients 3 10-22-2009 10:17 PM
First choc oatmeal stout recipe - comments pls Bru Recipes/Ingredients 13 09-21-2009 06:21 AM
Tasty AG or PM raspberry-choc stout or dbl. choc. stout recipe??? ddemaagd Recipes/Ingredients 5 07-24-2008 02:49 AM


Forum Jump