Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Belgian 'Session' Ales?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Belgian 'Session' Ales?

Reposted in the proper category:

Belgian beer is a category I haven't tackled at all, and I think the only proper Belgian beer I've ever had was Chimay Grand Reserve. I liked it and appreciated the flavor profile, but it was quite strong and almost liquour like which precludes it as a regular at my house.

My brewing choices lean more toward the sessionable side most of the time. Maybe what I'm after here would be like a Belgian Single, as opposed to the 'grande reserve' triple.....is there such a thing? What would be some good belgian "session" ales (lets say, anything under 1.060-65) to try and/or try to brew that are characteristically Belgian in flavor and temperment (no Wit's - that I have tried)?

Feel free to link to or post recipe's for me and anyone else interested to ponder......

Old 04-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've not brewed any yet but I like 'em

16B. Belgian Pale Ale

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sure! The 'style' is called Enkel, though none of the Trappist breweries are using the term any longer.

Keep it simple - Pils and sucrose, maybe a touch of Munich, Styrian Goldings for bittering to, say, 25 IBUs and an OG of 1.050ish.

Sounds tasty, don't it?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Are you an AHA member? Check out this month's (May/June) Zymurgy magazine. There is an entire article on Belgian Session ales with recipes for 6 different beers. Here are the styles that are discussed and recipe(s) given: Wit, Belgian Blond, Belgian Pale Ale, Tafelbier, Enkel.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That does sound tasty. Now I want a beer. I have to stop reading this forum at 8 AM.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
Are you an AHA member? Check out this month's (May/June) Zymurgy magazine. There is an entire article on Belgian Session ales with recipes for 6 different beers. Here are the styles that are discussed and recipe(s) given: Wit, Belgian Blond, Belgian Pale Ale, Tafelbier, Enkel.
Sign me up!.....I guess I should get a hold of that magazine if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieBrew View Post
That does sound tasty. Now I want a beer. I have to stop reading this forum at 8 AM.
haha....this happens to me too. I have to admit that, on rare occasions, I actually succumb that 8AM beer thirst with a few "samplings" from this or that brew-in-progress.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's my work in progress Belgian Pale Ale recipe, adapted from DeathBrewer's accidental DeKoninck-clone discovery. Very tasty session beer, and is quite popular at parties, esp. with the ladies.

8# Belgian Pils
1# CaraMunich
8 oz Flaked oats
4 oz Aromatic
4 oz Biscuit

1.5 oz Saaz 60
.5 oz Saaz 30
.5 oz Saaz 15

WLP515 (best, but it's a fall seasonal Platinum strain) or WLP550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

I've recently brewed 'Enkles' (I call them that...it's technically not correct I don't think) in order to propagate enough yeast for Tripels/BGSAs. From what I can tell...they really let the yeast shine. The one using the WLP530 (Westmalle) is quite spicy but the one using the WLP570 (Duvel) is fruity. I have not done the WLP500 (Chimay) yet but it's allegedly even fruitier. I guess my point is that the yeast will likely have a huge effect on the final product. So you have to decide if you want the fruity end of the spectrum of the spicy end or somewhere in between. I decided to try them all and then I'll be better equipped to make that decision next time.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I've recently brewed 'Enkles' (I call them that...it's technically not correct I don't think) in order to propagate enough yeast for Tripels/BGSAs. From what I can tell...they really let the yeast shine. The one using the WLP530 (Westmalle) is quite spicy but the one using the WLP570 (Duvel) is fruity. I have not done the WLP500 (Chimay) yet but it's allegedly even fruitier. I guess my point is that the yeast will likely have a huge effect on the final product. So you have to decide if you want the fruity end of the spectrum of the spicy end or somewhere in between. I decided to try them all and then I'll be better equipped to make that decision next time.
try them all......that's ultimately what I'd like to do, too.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
SRTBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only belgian I have made used belgian abbey II. Would this work well with Saccharomyces recipe? I really liked how the beer turned out with this one.