Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Chest Freezer Kegerator Build

Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
bakersbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chest Freezer Kegerator Build

UPDATE - Well, I did it! Jump ahead to the end for pictures. If you were like me and dont know how to build anything, let me know and I will try to help out. Thanks to anyone who gave me advice.

alright, here is the situation -

i am very new to homebrewing, but i already love it. on my second batch i am already ready to keg. thus, i need a kegerator. i have decided to convert a chest freezer into a kegerator using the collar build method.

here is my problem. i am not very handy. i can build things and have in the past, but i sort of need some instruction. i have been searching everywhere for a definitive DIY for days but havent found anything with step by step instructions. everything is just a general description of the build.

can anyone help me out on this?

here is some info on what i want to do - i am going to use the magic chef 5.5 cu ft chest freezer. i only need to have two beers on tap at once. no more. here is the link to the chest freezer.

Magic Chef 5.5 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer - MCCF5WBX at The Home Depot

any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated. i really want to build this bad boy. thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What part are you specifically looking for? Do you need help with the collar, faucet mounting, etc....

Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
bakersbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the collar build to start with. how is the collar attached to the freezer?

the other stuff i will deal with after i have built the collar.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I was concidering doing a keezer myself, but was concidering just doing a tower, rather than a colar, because that will be alot easier for me to acomplish. As long as the chest freezer is deep enough to close with the cornies with DCs attached, I think i can get away with no colar.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah the collar thing confused me too, cuz no one really talks about how its attached to the keezer. Most folks just use lots of silicone and the weight of it will keep it on. I used a small piece of scrap metal on the back and used the existing holes from the hinges to attach to keezer and wood screws. On the front I had to use the existing latch hole that was on there to create something. I think you'll be fine with silicone and what ever you can do on the back.

THe drip tray was also confusing , cuz I see lots of folks with them and no one says how they attached them. I just use angle magnets used for welding and the tray just sits on it. Good luck.

The collar is fairly easy to build , if you build it the same size as the measurements of the outside of the keezer, you might even be able to get HomeDepot to do the cuts for you.

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2940 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I routed notches in corners of my collar, then cut some aluminum strips we use at work for test marking and grinded them to shape to sit in flush with the corners. Then screwed them into the collar. The spot in the middle then screwed into the lid. My collar opens with my lid. I'm thinking of redoing it, but keep putting another keg in it when I empty it.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Yup, JesseRC's on it.
Collar is 2x4s (or 2x6s) on edge. Make a box the same size as your freezer. Take off the top, and set the 2x4 collar on the freezer, silicone to seal it. Then screw the top onto the collar and voila!
you can paint to match, stain and varnish, whatever. Then you can drill holes thru the wood to mount your shanks and faucets. (and a hole thru the back for your CO2 line). My collar allows me to stand my CO2 on the compressor hump, inside with the kegs. (don't expect the tank pressure reading to be correct, though!)
The collar also gives you some wood to mount your temp controller onto.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I have a 3-part series on building a chest freezer kegerator on my youtube channel.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My collar is silicone caulked to the lip of the freezer.

Some people make the whole collar hinged and others like myself do the opposite. There are some advantages to the first method, but it's a little bit more work.

For attaching the drip tray I just used angle brackets and heavy duty double sided tape.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
bakersbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what tools do i absolutely need to do this?

what is the best tool to drill the holes?

thanks for all your help. i am starting to get a better idea of what i need to do. i think i am going to start next week sometime.