The Poo discussion - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Poo discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
slnies

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Maple Lake MN
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

So, here it is. The other night I was having a talk with a friend over many a beer, and he being very left wing starts to enumerate on the fine properties of whole or organic gardening. This is in relation to hops.
He likes POO. I to like the Poo for my hops too, as they seem to grow like weeds on the stuff. But my question is this, is poo really organic? It may have come from a genetically modified animal. In effect wouldn't this then mean the Poo could be modified as well? It seems that when a chicken is feed genetically modified grains, it is no longer organic. Would the same hold true for Hops?

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Buckhuntr
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Tulsa

You're thinking too much. Have another ale and don't think.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
SchizoFilly
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Burleson, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Let me see if I'm following you here. The hypothesis I'm seeing is this: If one consumes a genetically altered substance, be it a chicken fed a laboratory developed hybrid grain that will later be consumed by a human, or a human consuming a chicken injected with growth hormone, then the excrement created as a by-product of the consumption of either chicken would no longer be organic matter but some genetically mutated sludge?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
slnies

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Maple Lake MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFilly View Post
Let me see if I'm following you here. The hypothesis I'm seeing is this: If one consumes a genetically altered substance, be it a chicken fed a laboratory developed hybrid grain that will later be consumed by a human, or a human consuming a chicken injected with growth hormone, then the excrement created as a by-product of the consumption of either chicken would no longer be organic matter but some genetically mutated sludge?
That was the arguement. You would think that POO is POO. Now what if the food was organic and the animal was the genetic modification?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Neunelfer

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Northern California
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe they sell Organic poo. :shrug

Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

Well if you take a genetically modified grain, process it through a chicken does that make it organic?

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

With all the crap everyone and everything ingests over their lifetime, there's no such thing as "pure organic" anything. Even if the cow is in a pristine field and eats nothing but grass, that grass gets pollutants on it, and the cow breathes in pollutants from the air, etc. So it's about levels of relative purity. Surely, poo from a free-range animal in a field is going to be "more organic" than one in a chicken factory that has been injected with all kinds of growth chemicals, etc. IOW, "organic" is a relative term.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Neunelfer

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Northern California
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Well if you take a genetically modified grain, process it through a chicken does that make it organic?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
With all the crap everyone and everything ingests over their lifetime, there's no such thing as "pure organic" anything. Even if the cow is in a pristine field and eats nothing but grass, that grass gets pollutants on it, and the cow breathes in pollutants from the air, etc. So it's about levels of relative purity. Surely, poo from a free-range animal in a field is going to be "more organic" than one in a chicken factory that has been injected with all kinds of growth chemicals, etc. IOW, "organic" is a relative term.
We have the big farmers peeing in the pool to thank for that one.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
SchizoFilly
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Burleson, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neunelfer View Post
We have the big farmers peeing in the pool to thank for that one.
I'm all for the farmer, it's not easy to turn a profit from farming unless you are huge and use every advantage you can find, pollution be damned.

At what point can something be reintroduced as organic? If you fertilize your hops with "non-organic" poo, like is suggested by OP, are the hops organic? If you use what is left of the hops as compost, is that compost organic? Is the produce that is grown using that compost organic? At what point in this chain could the levels of non-organic matter be diminished to a point where the product could be considered organic again?

....and why am I sober for this discussion?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
slnies

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Maple Lake MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFilly View Post

....and why am I sober for this discussion?
I don't know! But, I am not yet sober from when I started it.