Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > can bacteria form in blowoff bucket and go up tube?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
jigidyjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default can bacteria form in blowoff bucket and go up tube?

I was just curious - do you have to worry about stuff landing in your blow off bucket, going down through the water, then up through the tube into your fermenter?

I started off with sanitized water in the bucket, but surely over time it will become unsanitized...

Thanks

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 28 Posts

It is possible, but so is alien abduction. Assuming your blowoff container was filled partially with water/sanitizer mix, all should be well. I can't speak for Iodophor, but with Star San, you're probably safe for the first day or two. After that, it's probably a good idea to change the water out.

That being said, I have a recent batch that sat for 6 weeks with a blowoff in what I know was no longer viable Star San water. Star San generally lasts about 12-24 hours tops in my tap water, but this beer turned out great.

Long story short, try to avoid doing that in the future, but 99% sure your beer will be just fine.