Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did you like this recipe?

• Very Good

• Good

• Fair

• Meh...

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
1000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
38.0 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 65°
Tasting Notes
Roasted malts with coffee and bitter chocolate aftertaste, smooth and creamy
Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 3.50
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.75 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 58.06 %
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 12.90 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 12.90 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.68 %
0.50 lb Barley, Roasted (300.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1/2 Tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
1/2 Tsp Yeast Nutrient (15 min)
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Alcohol by Vol:5.70%
Bitterness: 23.1 IBU Calories: 269 cal/pint
Est Color: 38.0 SRM

Steep grains as desired (30 minutes) 155 degrees.

I had to post this recipe because it turned out so well.

I practice the Late Addition method with all of my brews. Usually I will add 1-2 pounds of DME with my 60 minute hop addition and add the rest of the DME at the last 10 minutes after adding the Irish Moss and yeast nutrient.

I'm not certain why, but my estimated FG should have been 1.015, from day 25 to 28 there was no drop in gravity. I bottled and have had no explosions. SWMBO had a baby shower for a work associate this Sunday (4/26) and I poured a glass for all the guys that attended, everybody LOVED it, including myself. I will be making another batch of this as soon as I rack my Raspberry beer into secondary with the fruit, and will definitely be stashing a sixer away for a rainy day. I am very glad I washed the yeast from this brew. This yeast is pretty amazing too, had a 3 hour lag time...it's nuts!:rockin:

PLEASE RATE THIS RECIPE/THREAD

I just made this yesterday. The only difference is that I used Safele -S04 yeast. My OG was 1.056 which I thought was a little low especially because I use a full 5 pounds of the Amber dry extract. I love the chocolaty look of the wort and can't wait to sample it. Fermentation was going at less than 12 hours, and is going strong at 18 hours. I will post when I sample this. Thanks for the recipe!

It will be delicious, I think the WLP004 yeast made a noticeable flavor contribution, I always seem to go over my Estimated OG. This stuff has been in the bottle for a little over a month. I am getting a little fusel alcohol warmth in the mouth, nonetheless, still very tasty! :mug:

Well, I just bottled this yesterday. I didn't quite make it four weeks from brew to bottle (I wanted to take a few bottles on vacation with me next week to sample after they began to carb up), but it still tasted good. I am looking forward to seeing how it improves with age.

It definitely gets better, and with your lower OG you probably wont get any of the fusel alcohol warmth I had. I have two 22 oz'ers left and I think I might drink'em on Independance Day. Brewing another batch this weekend, I might make some slight alterations, if so and it turns out better I will update the recipe. Have a great vacation!!!:mug:

Thanks for the Positive feedback!:D

I have just brewed this as a converted AG recipe, if it turns out well, I will post the AG recipe. I must say this extract recipe was very well received by my friends and family.

I have just brewed this as a converted AG recipe, if it turns out well, I will post the AG recipe. I must say this extract recipe was very well received by my friends and family.

AG recipe came out really crapily compared to the extract version, I would suggest steeping your roasted grains rather than mashing them to reduce the bitterness.

I think the roasted grains caused my pH to fall well below 5.0, however, I had no way of checking it.

Regardless, the beer is overly bitter, somewhat acrid, the mouthfeel is nice and thick like I wanted, but overall, this beer needs some improvement on the AG recipe.

Having said that, I just dipped into water modification, and brewed a North English Brown, so I will wait to taste the results in that beer, but building water to suit this recipe may also be key in its improvement.

I'm really looking forward to trying this once I get my primary ready. I'm wondering how you came to throw in the wheat extract and how that added to the body.

Back