Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to do after failed carbonation?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Probably_Confused
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What to do after failed carbonation?

I bottled a Honey Brown Ale two weeks ago and just opened one up for the first time. Though the taste is fantastic, the beer is almost completely flat. When I added my priming sugar at bottling I used about 4 oz. for 5 gallons. The package recommends 5 oz. but that has often overcarbonated my beer in the past.

Since I really do like the taste of this I don't want to give up on it yet. Any suggestions for how I should proceed? I don't have any CO2 equipment so that's not an option. I'd like to try and just open it all up and re-bottle it. Is this possible? If so, I don't know how much more priming sugar I should add since I already used 4 oz., and I don't know if I will need to re-pitch some yeast as well.

I'm grateful for any advice.

Seth

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probably_Confused View Post
I bottled a Honey Brown Ale two weeks ago and just opened one up for the first time. Though the taste is fantastic, the beer is almost completely flat. When I added my priming sugar at bottling I used about 4 oz. for 5 gallons. The package recommends 5 oz. but that has often overcarbonated my beer in the past.

Since I really do like the taste of this I don't want to give up on it yet. Any suggestions for how I should proceed? I don't have any CO2 equipment so that's not an option. I'd like to try and just open it all up and re-bottle it. Is this possible? If so, I don't know how much more priming sugar I should add since I already used 4 oz., and I don't know if I will need to re-pitch some yeast as well.

I'm grateful for any advice.

Seth
What temp are you carbing them at?Should be around 70to 77F for best results.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had this problem in the past, too. The solution is to warm them up. I bottle-carb at 73F-75F now using an aquarium heater and a water bath.

Keep the water level below the caps, though. I've learned that caps rust.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

It's probably not failed carbonation- it's just slow. I've had some beers take 6 weeks to carb up, so don't give up yet.

Gently turn the bottles end over end to rouse up the yeast, and put them someplace warm.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't even bother checking them until 3 weeks anymore. 3 weeks is the minimum reccomended time anyway. Follow Yoopers advice and wait.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
barrog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This has happened to me before too. I made an amber ale with a healty dose of honey. Took way over 2 weeks to carb. Might have been more like 4 weeks or more. I wonder if it had anything to do with the honey or maybe the amount of time in the secondary? Oh well point is as eveyone else said give it more time. Good luck on the brew!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Generally speaking the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we recommend is only a guideline, a minimum...the higher the grav, the longer it takes to carb and condition. Don't forget, just because a beer is fizzy doesn't mean it is still not green, and tastes like a$$...

I've had stouts and porters take 4-6 weeks to carb...I have a 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark Ale that is 2.5 months in the bottle and it is barely beginning to carb up, I don't think it will even begin to stop tasting green and like rocket fuel for about another 2-3 months....

Hell during the winter I am lucky if I get ANY BEER to carb up inn 8 weeks, since my loft stays in the low 60 all winter...I wrap them in sleeping bags and other things to keep them warm.

this ain't koolaid we are making....

Read this, and Relax.

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

If you added sugar to your beer at bottling time, the only failure you are having, is patience, NOT carbonation.....

Lay each bottle on a table, and rock it back and forth once to re-suspend the yeasts and put them back in your 70 degree + closet, and check on them in 2 more weeks....

And read this as well...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're using honey to carb, plan on it taking quite a bit longer than 3 weeks. Honey is a slow fermenter, so it could be six weeks or so before you hit the right level of carb.

On the other hand, the beer that is carbed with honey will taste fabulous due to the time it had to condition while the yeast was working on the bee juice... MMMMM!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
If you're using honey to carb, plan on it taking quite a bit longer than 3 weeks. Honey is a slow fermenter, so it could be six weeks or so before you hit the right level of carb.

On the other hand, the beer that is carbed with honey will taste fabulous due to the time it had to condition while the yeast was working on the bee juice... MMMMM!
Hmm..never heard that, that is good to know.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

+1 on the honey taking longer to carb. if you used more than1/2 pound, you should lay it down for 2 months. it seems like forever, but your results will make you shed a tear of joy!

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-