Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Home Brew ABV vs Commercial ABV
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,524
Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Home Brew ABV vs Commercial ABV

I would assume it is illegal for a company to misrepresent their ABV on their comercially sold product. My first brew, which I am now drinking, is an all around good beer. Good taste without any big off flavours, and my recalculated ABV puts me between 5-5.5%. Trouble is, one bottle of it and I can feel it! I'm not exactly a small person, nor do I have a very low alcohol tolderance, so this is confusing. I drank a 20-ish oz store bought dunkelweizen last night without a similar effect. That was 5.3% ABV on the label.

Of course, I don't MIND drinking my beer and getting a slight buzz


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!
Gremlyn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,307
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

it is all perception. Alcohol is alcohol. If you measured right, then you're not getting any more alcohol. It could be what you ate or didn't eat, it could be how tired you are or a number of other factors.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you're just drunk on satisfaction.


__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
RCCOLA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 1,079
Liked 86 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
I would assume it is illegal for a company to misrepresent their ABV on their comercially sold product. My first brew, which I am now drinking, is an all around good beer. Good taste without any big off flavours, and my recalculated ABV puts me between 5-5.5%. Trouble is, one bottle of it and I can feel it! I'm not exactly a small person, nor do I have a very low alcohol tolderance, so this is confusing. I drank a 20-ish oz store bought dunkelweizen last night without a similar effect. That was 5.3% ABV on the label.

Of course, I don't MIND drinking my beer and getting a slight buzz
I've don'e the exact same thing.I think it's b/c you are so tuned in to how you feel with how much you drink when you are the one who brewed it.You will find sometimes even when you brew one that you know is only 4% alc.,that you will feel it more than you remember feeling after 1 BMC lite beer.
Just wait till a long brew day when you haven't had much to eat and you chug down one of those 8% belgians youv'e been aging or a big IPA and see what happens!!
RCCOLA is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
PintOfBitter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,175
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Are you measuring ABV or ABW? ABV will be a higher number than ABW for the same beer. Your hydrometer gives you ABW.

No offense if you already knew this.
PintOfBitter is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
RCCOLA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 1,079
Liked 86 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
Are you measuring ABV or ABW? ABV will be a higher number than ABW for the same beer. Your hydrometer gives you ABW.

No offense if you already knew this.
You made me have to go look at my hydro.
Mine says POTENTIAL ALCOHOL BY VOLUME right on it.
RCCOLA is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,307
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA View Post
You made me have to go look at my hydro.
Mine says POTENTIAL ALCOHOL BY VOLUME right on it.
And if you're using beersmith or something, it is all calculating ABV. ABW isn't very common anymore.
__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,524
Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
Are you measuring ABV or ABW? ABV will be a higher number than ABW for the same beer. Your hydrometer gives you ABW.

No offense if you already knew this.
No worries, always beter to assume someone doesn't know something just in case Pretty sure my hydrometer was ABV, but I could be wrong. I'll double check on that tomorrow when I am back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
it is all perception. Alcohol is alcohol. If you measured right, then you're not getting any more alcohol. It could be what you ate or didn't eat, it could be how tired you are or a number of other factors.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you're just drunk on satisfaction.
My original calculation gave me 3.5%, but then I realised I didn't account for temp, so I went back and did it again. I figured there wouldn't be a commercial vs homebrew difference. Must be all in my head, maybe this means I can finally get drunk off of beer again! an't remember the last time I was able to do that


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!
Gremlyn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting yeast from a commercial brew DankBrewHa General Techniques 7 03-31-2009 09:39 PM
Home Brew vs. Commercial DylansDad General Beer Discussion 1 02-09-2009 05:56 AM
Cleaning Commercial bottles for home use? Fadeux Bottling/Kegging 6 12-03-2008 12:08 AM
Commercial bottle washing at home libertyman Bottling/Kegging 3 07-06-2008 06:01 PM
I think I have a new favorite commercial brew Trencher Commercial Brew Discussion 3 09-27-2007 04:57 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS