Question about the bench cappers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corkster

Reaction score
seems like I read somewhere recently (probably here I'm sure..hard to tell with all the reading I do on the homebrew topic) that if you use a bench capper rather than a wing capper, that you can then use screw type bottles for homebrew rather than pry-off type...

is this accurate? if so it seems that this would make my brewing life easier as most of my friends drink cheaper BMC beers and would gladly fill my bottle needs in a weekend! (I can think of one guy who could get me about 5 cases every few weeks...poor drunken SOB...)

i have a regular wing capper and opened up a beer the other day that, to my surprise was a twist top.... kind of pissed me off after spending so much time trying to collect pop top bottles that a twist top worked fine... I'm sure there must be some problems with it but I don't know. My beer was nicely carbonated and everything so I don't know what the deal is.

i have the ferarri bench capper, and have used twist-offs. never any leakers.

It might, it might not. I would just go buy a case of bottles for peace of mind.

Wing cappers get a loose fit on screw tops and apply pressure to the (thin) neck. Never had a bench capper, but even if I did I still wouldn't want to use screw tops as anything more than a temporary fix.

Wing cappers get a loose fit on screw tops and apply pressure to the (thin) neck. Never had a bench capper, but even if I did I still wouldn't want to use screw tops as anything more than a temporary fix.

Corkster- I agree with Nugu.. Personally, I wouldnt risk it.. Any kind of loose fit could allow bacteria or oxygen in over time.. sounds to me like you need friends who drink better beer to get your bottles :D

:off:
By the way, Corkster, since you are my brother, and I have just upgraded to a 4 keg corny system, you can have my bottles if you want them.. We are coming to Yakima this weekend.. Want 'em? I also have an extra glass carboy if you want that.. let me know!

use twist-offs until you have enough pry-offs. they'll work just fine with a bench capper.

Back