Looking for high end picnic style tap - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Looking for high end picnic style tap

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
dontman
 
dontman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Posts: 2,402
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts



For domestic tranquility reasons I am unable to put external taps on my beer fridge. I am looking for some higher quality picnic tap style taps.

Looking for suggestions.

I saw an interesting prospect at morebeer that also has a flow regulator that supposedly eliminates the need for much hose. Faucet - Super Hand-Held | MoreBeer

Anyone use this? Is it worth $55?
__________________
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
SkewedBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
The Middle East
Posts: 1,001


Beer Faucet Adaptor

I've been looking for this thread for like an hour (don't worry I'm at work, I have a life i swear!)

I randomly saw this at Adventures in Homebrewing, how's this work dontman?
__________________
"All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
SkewedBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
The Middle East
Posts: 1,001


PS, I know there is zero hose, but I'm thinking it might work well enough, maybe...
__________________
"All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
dontman
 
dontman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Posts: 2,402
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SkewedAle View Post
PS, I know there is zero hose, but I'm thinking it might work well enough, maybe...

Hmmm, I wonder. It certainly is an elegant solution and with the ball tap handle should fit fine but I wonder about the flow control. I like the price too.

My situation is that I have a small kitchen and my wife surprisingly was okay with a beer fridge as long as we could still use the top for a microwave stand and small counter. So no room for tower or even for a collar on the front of the fridge.

I don't mind opening the fridge to pull a pint but I would like a nice tap to grab onto. This cheap plastic thingy with the swiveling thumb button is so . . . college.
__________________
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 540 Times on 432 Posts


I've seen a few folks on here use the faucet adapter for portable kegs with great success. They usually pair it up with one of the little co2 cartridge keg chargers.
__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Chello
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 867
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SkewedAle View Post
Beer Faucet Adaptor

I've been looking for this thread for like an hour (don't worry I'm at work, I have a life i swear!)

I randomly saw this at Adventures in Homebrewing, how's this work dontman?
While these may work well for parties, i would be worried about having these as my permanent setup.

I would imagine that the pressure required to keep a nice pour will be very low compared to what your pressure needs to be in order to keep your beer at a desired level of carbonation.
__________________
"Retail is for suckers."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
ggoodman
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Juneau Alaska
Posts: 169
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I to was unable to put holes in the fridge, so I mounted regular taps with REALY short shanks into a a piece of 1x4 and I put hooks on the back so it hanks on the kegs. I still have nice regular taps but theyre outa sigh and outa mind.
__________________
Fly Casters Brewing

"Aint nothing better than Fishing and Brewing Beer"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
dontman
 
dontman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Posts: 2,402
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
I to was unable to put holes in the fridge, so I mounted regular taps with REALY short shanks into a a piece of 1x4 and I put hooks on the back so it hanks on the kegs. I still have nice regular taps but theyre outa sigh and outa mind.
Ain't happening with my oster. As it is the door snugs up against the kegs - tightly.
__________________
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
beerthirty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Posts: 2,589
Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Hmmm, I wonder. It certainly is an elegant solution and with the ball tap handle should fit fine but I wonder about the flow control. I like the price too.

My situation is that I have a small kitchen and my wife surprisingly was okay with a beer fridge as long as we could still use the top for a microwave stand and small counter. So no room for tower or even for a collar on the front of the fridge.

I don't mind opening the fridge to pull a pint but I would like a nice tap to grab onto. This cheap plastic thingy with the swiveling thumb button is so . . . college.
Here is you flow restriction. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure...oubles-100151/
It should allow you to keep the pressure up and reduce foaming at the glass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is, MORE CARBOYS!"
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
dontman
 
dontman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Posts: 2,402
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
Here is you flow restriction. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure...oubles-100151/
It should allow you to keep the pressure up and reduce foaming at the glass.
That is what I use with my 5' hoses to control flow now. Works like a charm on a 5' hose but how many inserts do you think I'd need for zero hose? 4? 6?
__________________
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High ABV Meads - European Style huzelj Mead Forum 2 12-02-2007 02:25 PM
Picnic Tap Help jdoiv Bottling/Kegging 4 08-18-2007 03:42 AM
Picnic Kegging ideas from the Austin Zealots Summer Picnic EdWort Bottling/Kegging 0 08-17-2007 08:27 PM
Q&A on 2.5 Picnic Keg Set-up Schlenkerla Bottling/Kegging 10 07-01-2007 09:19 PM
Picnic Taps 80/- Bottling/Kegging 9 03-03-2006 07:49 PM


Forum Jump