Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > crap. I forgot to oxygenate the wort!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
malt_shovel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just chill out, RDWHAHB. There will be plenty of O2 to keep the yeasties busy. 6 hours isn't long to see action in your primary. To keep you sane, I pitched a re-hydrated dry yeast into a Belgian brew and didn't see any action for about 12 hours. Then it went off the charts. Chances are you are reading these posts with a happily bubbling primary. All brews / yeasts behave differently. If it makes you feel better, go and shake your primary. It's all mental, and the yeasties are in control. What you brewing for your next batch?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #12
gointomexico
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to never oxygenate until I read palmer's book in 06. I usually brew around 4-6 abv without issue.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
It's fine. Shake it if you want, but don't worry about it. Unless it's a really big beer, there will be plenty of yeast.

I'd shake it anyway, the first couple of days. Keep those yeast busy
It's your Rye Recipe, actually ......(BTW, I got worse efficiency than I normally do, too....is it something to do with the rye?)

I did shake it some, and at hour 18 or so it's bubbling slow and steady, picking up the pace. I made a 1qt starter of 3068 for this....I was just worried because instead of splashing the wort, I siphoned a good bit of it quietly....I'm not even sure why I did this, I have always just dumped everything into the fermentor in the past with good results, I guess I felt I needed to add some more equipment and complication to my brew day....rdwhahb is probably right.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
springer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

since you made a starter you dont really need to aerate the wort all that much if any, the reproduction of the yeast was done in the starter.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
It's your Rye Recipe, actually ......(BTW, I got worse efficiency than I normally do, too....is it something to do with the rye?)

I did shake it some, and at hour 18 or so it's bubbling slow and steady, picking up the pace. I made a 1qt starter of 3068 for this....I was just worried because instead of splashing the wort, I siphoned a good bit of it quietly....I'm not even sure why I did this, I have always just dumped everything into the fermentor in the past with good results, I guess I felt I needed to add some more equipment and complication to my brew day....rdwhahb is probably right.
With a starter, there are plenty of yeast in there...a short reproductive phase is not a big deal. When i made the roggenbier, I just used a vial, no starter at all. RDWHAHB

Assuming you used malted rye, it was definitely the cause for low efficiency. It doesn't have husks and won't pop open with a regualar crush, so you pretty much need to shred it. It absorbs a lot of water, too. I'm sure it will still be tasty

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...