Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding more water...

Old 07-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Flucky07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding more water...

I am making a bluberry wheat beer. I want it light instead of having a full body. I made 5.5 gallons. When i transfer to secondary can i add about 3 gallons of water to create 8.5 gallons of beer to *lighten* the beer up at secondary time?

Its for the misses btw

Eric

Primary #1: Austrailian Shiraz
Primary #2: Apfelwein 1056 Yeast
Secondary #1: Apfelwein Champ Yeast
Secondary #2: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flucky07
I am making a bluberry wheat beer. I want it light instead of having a full body. I made 5.5 gallons. When i transfer to secondary can i add about 3 gallons of water to create 8.5 gallons of beer to *lighten* the beer up at secondary time?

Kindof an odd question...you'll be diluting everything: the malt flavor, the hops flavor (probably not a big component of this beer), the blueberry flavor, the ABV, the general beer character.

What was the OG of this beer? How much blueberry?

Unless this was a high OG beer with a huge amount of fruit, I can't imagine it being able to stand that level of dilusion.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Its for the misses btw
suuuuuuuure it is... that's what they all say

Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Flucky07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Kindof an odd question...you'll be diluting everything: the malt flavor, the hops flavor (probably not a big component of this beer), the blueberry flavor, the ABV, the general beer character.

What was the OG of this beer? How much blueberry?

Unless this was a high OG beer with a huge amount of fruit, I can't imagine it being able to stand that level of dilusion.
I didnt take an OG of the beer...i am going to use 4oz of blueberry extract that i got from the LHBS at bottling time. And i also am going to use 1.5 lbs of blueberries in the secondary.?
I just dont want a full kick to it. Maybe around 4.4abv
I used extract as well...for ingrediance...

Do you suggest maybe an extra gallon to go up to 6.5 gallons then?

Eric
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
I didnt take an OG of the beer...i am going to use 4oz of blueberry extract that i got from the LHBS at bottling time. And i also am going to use 1.5 lbs of blueberries in the secondary.?
I just dont want a full kick to it. Maybe around 4.4abv
I used extract as well...for ingrediance...

Do you suggest maybe an extra gallon to go up to 6.5 gallons then?
OK--how much extract was in the 5.5 gallon batch? We can calculate the OG how it will be effected by diluting from that.

What a lot of women and/or non beer geeks seem to mean by "lighter" is a beer with less bitterness and hops presence.* Chances are your blueberry wheat already qualifies.

(*That and maybe "lighter in color." I think a lot of marginal beer drinkers actually prefer darker, maliter beers once they set aside their preconceived notion that darker beers are only for super beer lovers.)

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 07-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Flucky07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
OK--how much extract was in the 5.5 gallon batch? We can calculate the OG how it will be effected by diluting from that.

What a lot of women and/or non beer geeks seem to mean by "lighter" is a beer with less bitterness and hops presence.* Chances are your blueberry wheat already qualifies.

(*That and maybe "lighter in color." I think a lot of marginal beer drinkers actually prefer darker, maliter beers once they set aside their preconceived notion that darker beers are only for super beer lovers.)
I dont recall what brand is was but it was a hefeweisen from germany. it came in a large red container. I believe it was 8lbs...

On Tap: