Does any one use a Beverage Cooler for a Fermentation Cooler - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Does any one use a Beverage Cooler for a Fermentation Cooler

Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I am looking into getting a Fermentation Chamber set up for Lagering and brewing in the Summer Months. I am looking at something that will hold a 6.5 gal. Carboy. I have seen that many people modify the Dorm Style refrigerators. I looked into these but noticed that most have a partially raised floor. I want something with a flat floor that does not need too much in the way of modification if at all possible.. I searched the intergoogle and saw this beverage cooler; HBCN05EBB - 96-Can (12 Oz.) Or 46-Wine Bottle Capacity.

Has anyone ever used one of these before? It looks like a good Idea because I could use it to store homebrews...etc...

TIA

Zman

Old 04-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

I don't have that one, but almost all wine coolers have a compressor hump just like regular fridges. Normally the only difference is a slightly upgraded thermostat and different shelving. I would go with a mid-sized dorm fridge that will fit a single carboy or bucket if you want to keep it small.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Madison, WI
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Also, if it matters to you, anything with a glass door/window is terribly inefficient regarding the energy needed to keep a constant temp.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
zman

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I don't have that one, but almost all wine coolers have a compressor hump just like regular fridges. Normally the only difference is a slightly upgraded thermostat and different shelving. I would go with a mid-sized dorm fridge that will fit a single carboy or bucket if you want to keep it small.
Thanks for the quick reply
Do you use a Dorm Fridge or have you ever used one to ferment in? IF so what size would you recommend. I need to measure the carboy but I want it to be big enough for the carboy, the airlock, blow off tube and a small plastic jug of star san solution.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Louisville,KY
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Does anyone know of a model that will accommodate a single Better Bottle without the hump causing a problem?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
zman

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
Also, if it matters to you, anything with a glass door/window is terribly inefficient regarding the energy needed to keep a constant temp.
I have a Johnson Temp controller that I am going to use to maintain the temp inside. I thought about the glass door and letting light in so I would just cover it with a towel or something to that effect.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

I do not use a dorm fridge, sorry. You will have to measure to make sure it fits.

My theory about the glass door is that you will actually use less energy with a glass door because you will not be opening the fridge to check on your brew. Opening the opaque door once during fermentation would likely make up for a full week of heat loss difference between the glass and a regular door. Those doors are designed as fridge doors and I am sure they are pretty good. Also, most of them are UV coated to block UV light so you should be able to leave it is clear view.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
radtek

Recipes 

Dec 2008
/texas/san_antonio

I went to Walmart the other day to try and pick up the fridge but even though it was supposedly in stock it wasn't. I took that as a sign and on the way out I saw this large 38 gallon PP (29"Lx17"Wx18"H) bin/tote & lid for $10. Just perfect for two of my 7.9g fermenters.

I have some 1.75" hard foam paneling and silver bubble-wrap stuff. I wrapped it up with two layers and put a piece of the the styrofoam underneath. Until I can resolve a dedicated Cold Chamber ( I want my guest bathroom back!) this oughta work for ales for the time being.

Every 12 hours or so I just swap an ice-pack out.

Those buckets are pretty big- maybe it would accommodate carboys. Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
zman

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post
I went to Walmart the other day to try and pick up the fridge but even though it was supposedly in stock it wasn't. I took that as a sign and on the way out I saw this large 38 gallon PP (29"Lx17"Wx18"H) bin/tote & lid for $10. Just perfect for two of my 7.9g fermenters.

I have some 1.75" hard foam paneling and silver bubble-wrap stuff. I wrapped it up with two layers and put a piece of the the styrofoam underneath. Until I can resolve a dedicated Cold Chamber ( I want my guest bathroom back!) this oughta work for ales for the time being.

Every 12 hours or so I just swap an ice-pack out.

Those buckets are pretty big- maybe it would accommodate carboys. Hope this helps.

That is very cool and ingenious but I have only one bath tub. Good job!!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
tac0meat
Recipes 

Jan 2008

lamarguy uses something similar: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...tml#post873267