Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > priming sugar for 1 bottle

Old 07-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default priming sugar for 1 bottle

I'm racking to secondary this weekend and the wait is killing me, I'm thinking about bottling 1 bottle and try it in a week. Is there any reason to not do this? I know it won't taste perfect but I really want to see what it tastes like. Since I will already have some out for the hydrometer I figure why not throw it in a bottle.

How much priming sugar should I use for just 1 bottle? Since I'm only a week into fermentation do I even need the sugar? I brewed on Saturday and it has slowed way down already, I figure it will be done by this Saturday..

Todd

Old 07-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Patience, grasshopper. The beer won't taste very good, and after only a week in the bottle will very likely have little, if any, carbonation (usually takes about two weeks to get some carbonation, three for full). Probably won't have any more fizz than the sample you will inevitably steal from the secondary before you bottle

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Patience, grasshopper. The beer won't taste very good, and after only a week in the bottle will very likely have little, if any, carbonation (usually takes about two weeks to get some carbonation, three for full). Probably won't have any more fizz than the sample you will inevitably steal from the secondary before you bottle
yeah I know, this is my first brew and it is so hard to see it everyday.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

take er easy... get ingredients for another batch, put this beer in the secondary this weekend and taste some then, flat. Make up another batch, ASAP cause you'll go through that one in like 4 days
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloop
take er easy... get ingredients for another batch, put this beer in the secondary this weekend and taste some then, flat. Make up another batch, ASAP cause you'll go through that one in like 4 days

That is what I'm thinking. My buddy is brewing a pumpkin oatmeal stout this weekend, that should also be nice and tasty. I'm thinking about a raspberry hefe-weizen next.

I will be tasting, I've tasted everything but the yeast as I was making it. I have to say even the chilled wort was pretty good. OG was 1.083.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Once you get a "cellar," with 2-3 (or more) batches near their prime to choose from, then you won't feel that intense pressure to want to drink the latest batch before its time. I always taste after about 10-14 days in the bottle, but kindof almost forget about it for a while after that while I drink other batches.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Brewing more beer (and planning to brew even more) is a great way to get your mind off the stuff that's already conditioning. Maybe that's why I spend so much time on this site, it keeps me from becoming a drunk!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Jazz hands!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

That's a pretty big beer, what is it? Don't be surprised if it needs a little more than a week in the primary, better to let it finish fermenting there before you rack it.

Jazz hands!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Once you get a "cellar," with 2-3 (or more) batches near their prime to choose from, then you won't feel that intense pressure to want to drink the latest batch before its time. I always taste after about 10-14 days in the bottle, but kindof almost forget about it for a while after that while I drink other batches.

I can understand that, this being the first is just driving me crazy, it is like waiting for christmas morning as a kid. Or maybe Prom night as a Teen.

Quick question, I was right at 5 gallons in the primary, I have a feeling I'll be a bit under in the secondary, should I add some water to hit the 5 gallon mark? This is going to be a strong beer so I'm not too worried about watering it down. I can't see it taking more than half gallon to fill.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
That's a pretty big beer, what is it? Don't be surprised if it needs a little more than a week in the primary, better to let it finish fermenting there before you rack it.
It is a strong scotch ale. It is based off of a belhaven clone. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11477

I was thinking about this, how do you tell when it is ready to rack? The bubbling has slowed way down, it bubbles about twice per minute now. Was every second the first 24 hours. I'm planning to rack Saturday and use the yeast for the next batch which we are brewing Saturday.