Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sell your brew? Ever considered it?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
EastCoastCraft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sell your brew? Ever considered it?

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site, so I apologize in advance if my thread in anyway offends the spirit of home brewing.

I was recently laid off and I have plenty of free time on my hands, and I'd like to begin to brew my own beer. In talking with some of my friends and colleagues I have decided to start doing some market research on the difficulties and possibilities of amateur brewings transition into professional. I just wondered if anyone here had thought of selling their favorite home brew, and what obstacles they have come in contact with.

Creating my own brew has been a passion since I could drink, however, it took a recession to give me the free time to consider it as an actual profession... Again, I know this is probably against the amateur spirit of the site, I just thought that some one here had to have considered it. That being said, I know that I will be a better salesman than brewmaster, so I am also considering brewmaster schools.

I have assembled two partners so far in my venture, my two best friends one has an MBA from Yale, the other has a degree in Finance and Accounting from Georgetown ( He left finance a few years ago, and is now a chef in NYC.) I have a degree in Finance from George Washington, and a background in Sales. Both partners thoroughly enjoy beer, and have been pressuring me to pursue this passion of mine for years. The only reason this information is relevant is because we all have substantial fundraising experience, so money isn't that large of an issue.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mike

Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not offended at all--I think a lot of people have that thought. If you're looking at it seriously, first thing you should do is check your local laws. Selling beer will require all sorts of permits, zoning, health code, etc. Just my $0.02

Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 27 Posts

This post has the links to our legendary "Don't try this at home!" thread, a story of a homebrewer who went pro and the bumps along the way. Great read, and very informative!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f28/dont...17/#post948037

Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There is definatly some beuracracy you will have to go through.
Personally, I like to trade my beer for things, or give it as gifts. I knew a guy that sold some fancy blue bottles for as much as $15-$20. They were filled with Meade, but he didn't charge for that at all.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check here ProBrewer Message Board for some info on starting a brewery or brewpub.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
EastCoastCraft
Recipes 

I'm thinking about opening up shop in suburban MD/Northern VA. In college I was a bartender in DC. I still keep in contact with a lot of managers, distributers, and bar owners. My brother-in-law actually builds breweries on the west coast.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5786 Times on 5044 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I get offers to buy frequently so, yeah I consider it every time. My one and only obstacle is the law and I am not looking for profit here.

Since I am not venturing into a biz opp, best I can do is "let them" buy me some grain and then share 5 gallons of beer with them. Matter of fact making it isn;t even legal for me but, it's less illeagal than selling it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCraft View Post
I'm thinking about opening up shop in suburban MD/Northern VA. In college I was a bartender in DC. I still keep in contact with a lot of managers, distributers, and bar owners. My brother-in-law actually builds breweries on the west coast.
I think if you have that kind of in with the industry, you're one step ahead of most of the people here. This site is really geared towards brewing at home. I second a stop over at probrewer.com, because learning how to brew in your garage will give you fundamentals, but if you are looking to dive right in, I'd hire a consultant and go from there.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Lee Chase Consulting

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts